How too keep humidity stable in a house with low humidity?

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
Hello, I'm incubating eggs, & on day 11, 7 days until lock down. I'm trying to keep my humidity at 35% - 45%, & it doesn't want to stay that way any longer then maybe 20-30 minutes. Each time it drops I add extra water, & it rises to about 47-55% humidity, then drops rapidly.

Since the house is very low with humidity, will boosting the humidity for the eggs cause any harm the hatch in anyway? How to keep the humidity stable in the incubator?

A quick bit of info, I have my incubator covered with a towel to keep my incubator's temperature stable, because it struggles to stay heated without being covered.

When you say you're adding extra water, are you adding extra surface area of water, or are you just putting more water into the container of water that's already in there and already has water in it?

The way to increase humidity is actually to increase the surface area of the water - so if you can't get the humidity high enough, you'd want to add another container of water to boost the surface area.

When you say you're adding extra water, are you adding extra surface area of water, or are you just putting more water into the container of water that's already in there and already has water in it?

The way to increase humidity is actually to increase the surface area of the water - so if you can't get the humidity high enough, you'd want to add another container of water to boost the surface area.
It has a long U shaped water trough built into the incubator.

I was adding more water to the trough built into the incubator to raise the humidity. But it would only rise to about 42%, then drop down to about 25, 18 percent humidity within a short time.

I can't add another container of water without taking apart my incubator.

Adding more water will not increase surface area. Add clean wet household sponges to increase humidity. One or two usually does the trick and then moisten sponges as needed.
It's okay now. I've got the situation figured out on how to keep the humidity where i need it too be.
Thanks for your suggestion though.

It's okay now. I've got the situation figured out on how to keep the humidity where i need it too be.
Thanks for your suggestion though.
How did you do this as mine is the same I’ve used sponges but can’t add water anywhere. I have two air vents but scared to close incase not enough oxygen for the eggs. I’m only on day 5 but struggled to keep humidity above 30.0% worried about when lock down comes around. I ordered a mist maker and hopefully that will increase it a bit but still need to make a decision what to do for lockdown or may have to build another incubator.

Back
Top Bottom