How Water-Loving are Mallards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbyvg

Chirping
Sep 3, 2021
Middle TN
I searched the forums prior to posting this but I either didn't type in the correct words or does not exist. Anyhow...

I just ordered some Mallard ducklings from Metzer.
I have raised Cayugas, Blue Swedes, Golden Layers, Khaki Campbells, Rouens and Pekins.

I noticed the Cayugas take to the water enthusiastically the quickest - on the first or second day of arrival they are diving and swimming under the water with lots of joy.

The Khakis and Golden Layers were 2nd(ish) in that regard.

I have read Mallards do like to dive and such but I was wondering: compared to other ducks/ducklings, how much do Mallards enjoy the water? More than Cayugas?

Indeed. That is why I am asking. Some mallard descended breeds love water more than others. This is such a simple question. Oh well.
I would expect mallards to take to the water more quickly than the more “domesticated” breeds. I can’t say that I can provide any studies to that effect, but it seems logical that a breed that is closer to its natural state would behave the way it would in the wild, and water means both safety and food to a wild mallard. Domesticated mallard-derived breeds have been bred to the point where they, to some degree, probably know they can sit around their nice safe coops and duck houses and be fed. That’s my guess, at least 🤷‍♀️

Ducks are waterfowl.
Water is their thing.
No matter what breed - they will love the water.
I get where Robby is coming from though. He(?) has raised multiple different breeds and was wondering about variations between the various mallard-derived breeds. Since he(?) had noticed that his Cayugas were quicker to the water than the Pekins, it doesn’t seem unreasonable to wonder where true Mallards would fall in the spectrum of water loving breeds. People always ask which mallard-derived breeds are the quietest or friendliest or the most proficient at egg-laying. Why not ask who loves the water the most? I mean, clearly all the mallard derived sorts would rate water 10 out of 10, but there’s nothing wrong with wondering about small variations between the different breeds. OP, you will have to let us know once you receive your new little ones! Also, please share pictures :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom