How well do d'uccles fly?

happymom99

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2011
California
I am considering getting a d'uccle but I read on a breed chart that they can be "fliers". What about if you clip one wing? I have a Blue Andalusian that can make her way onto my fence and into a neighbor's yard (and then a dog's mouth) if I don't clip one wing but as long as I clip that wing she is safe in my yard. Is this the case with d'uccles? I am wondering if they would still make it onto a fence, even with a wing clipped, since they are so tiny.

Thank you,
CJ

I am considering getting a d'uccle but I read on a breed chart that they can be "fliers". What about if you clip one wing? I have a Blue Andalusian that can make her way onto my fence and into a neighbor's yard (and then a dog's mouth) if I don't clip one wing but as long as I clip that wing she is safe in my yard. Is this the case with d'uccles? I am wondering if they would still make it onto a fence, even with a wing clipped, since they are so tiny.

Thank you,
CJ

I've lost 3 with a clipped wing when they made it over a 6ft fence and into the neighbor's yard with 3 Beagle. I've also has some that barely got up on the roost. I think it depends on the bird, but all the ones that made it over were of course my hens.

What a shame. Sorry for your lost hens. :(

Well, not the answer I wanted to hear but it is a good thing I heard it. I guess I'd better not get a d'uccle. It sounds like they fly too well for my yard.

Thank you,
CJ

What a shame. Sorry for your lost hens.
sad.png

Well, not the answer I wanted to hear but it is a good thing I heard it. I guess I'd better not get a d'uccle. It sounds like they fly too well for my yard.
Thank you,
CJ

I never have a problem with my chubby Marans! And the d'uccle roos never got that high up. They were like ground dwellers. LOL

They fly quite well enough to get up into trees. Certainly high enough to get to the top of six foot fences, and over into another yard.

Mine shocked me. I hadn't even gotten a special little word out of my mouth before I heard the Beagles. Wonder why my roos stayed so close to the ground.

I have one D'Uncle and she flies circles around the yard she can get up pretty high and can fly for a great distance. I have a large yard though and she never leaves the yard.

Back
Top Bottom