How would you cook up Rooster?

Rooster is good for chicken pot pie. Here's my recipe, that I've used for years.

Quarter said bird and boil until done. Let cool. Pick meat off the bone and put in a large sized casserole dish. Add two cans, or one quart of mixed vegetables. Stir in 1 can cream of mushroom and 1 can cream of something else. We like celery here, but you can use chicken or another cream of mushroom. Pour 1 and a half cups broth over this mixture, salt and pepper. In another bowl, melt 1/2 stick of butter, add 1 cup freshly sifted flour and 1 cup mix, mix until slightly thick. Pour over mixture, and bake until the crust is brown, usually about 45 minutes. It is DELISH! Comfort food to the max.

Now, if you like more of a cornbread crust as opposed to a biscuit crust, add 1/2 cup of corn meal to the butter/flour/milk mixture.

I like to slice some sharp cheddar to eat with this. It's really good on cold, rainy days.

I was just given an old rooster by a friend (killed and dressed) and found your post while googling for ways to cook it. The method I came up with was to make a chicken stew --- basically make it like you're making chicken broth, then pick out the bones and add some veggies. Very easy and tasty --- which is what I was looking for! If you want to read my whole experience (I get long-winded and don't want to blow too much hot air here :), you can see it on my blog at http://www.waldeneffect.org.

When we butchered our boys (scrawny EEs and BLR Wyandottes), we fried the dark meat. It was very tasty and rich but tough. Totally edible, though. My DH loved it.

The breast meat's in the freezer. This thread has me thinking I should thaw it out. Anyone have a good recipe for Arroz con Pollo?

I think it all depends on the age of the rooster, we cooked a 4-5 month old rooster who my wife said weighed 5-6 #'s she use a baking pan, he turned out very tender, the older roosters she will cook in a soup pot whole then cut up later and use the broth for a soup.

Here's a great recipe for taco soup. It's great for using adult roo meat that you need to cook forever (or pressure cook) because yes, it is tough.

First, saute a large onion or two. Dump in 5 cloves minced garlic, 1-2 minced chilis, 1/2 tsp gr. cumin, oregano, 1 lb shredded chicken (or diced or whatever, I prefer shredded), 4 cups chopped fresh or canned tomatoes, 3-6 cups veggie or chicken stock (for if you like lots of juice!), 1 can corn or fresh, or frozen, 1/3 cup lime or lemon juice, cilantro to taste.

Heat it and eat it! Good for sinuses, too!!

Serve with plenty of tortilla chips.
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png

DH and I love the stuff!!!

Last edited:
I just made a tastey chicken soup that became a chicken stew after adding dumplings. But , what i did wrong, was after deboning, i just tossed the meat back into the pot without dicing it. Big mistake. I ended up with a 1/2 a potfull of string. Next time , I'll be sure to keep the meat out until the noodles are cooked.

All the recipes are sounding really good! We did end up making stew with him, but the leg meat was so tough! Even after over 2 hours boiling!! So we just picked off the white meat and added it to the stock. It was really yummy!

Hi Mary Meghan
smile.png
We did end up having to get rid of the rooster. He came after DH and I too many times and hurt us (bruises and bloody scrapes) so we decided it was better to not have him around and not risk injury to the kids!

I had a RIR roo that was probably around 10 months that became mean to the kids as well as some new additions to the flock.

He became my experiment. Although I had cleaned many wild turkeys, quail and other wild game, I had never cleaned a chicken. My wife's best friend's dad butchers chickens all the time so the roo took a road trip to his house and he showed me what to do. We skinned it instead of plucking so the next one I do I will try my hand at plucking.

He made a great chicken spaghetti. The white meat was tender and great, the dark meat was a little stringy but not tough. I enjoyed him.

i posted this on JoeBryant's query once...i will try to remember it by heart!

Rhandi's Rid of that Rowdy Rooster Soup

1. Catch said Rooster and 'do thedo'. (you should already be to this point seeing as it's in the freezer!
big_smile.png
)

2. When the Rooster looks like food, put in in stockpot and cover with water. Add salt and bring to boil. When it reaches a boil, turn down to a soft simmer and cook for 1 hour.

3. Add one onion and celery (coarse chop) and throw it on top of the Rooster. Add pepper, 2 bay leaves, poultry seasoning and cook for 1 more hour.

4. At this point drain and reserve broth. Pick meat off that Rooster and throw back into pot. Throw away anything that is a bone, skin or just weird looking. Add rosemary and bring back to simmer.

5. Add potatoes, noodles, dumplings, rice, barley...whatever you like at this point.

it's gonna be good. you're gonna want seconds. Roosters is tasty!
yippiechickie.gif
Love it

Back
Top Bottom