Huge Eggs! Both chooks!

12thharmonic

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 18, 2008
Rhodes Australia
OK, here's the scratch!

We have two hens, Ginger and MaryAnn.
Ginger was egg bound for a few days. We got her past that and her first post-bound egg was HUGE! Nothing for a couple of days, then another HUGE egg. She laid the past three days and appears to be getting back to normal. One a day, and around 70 grams.

Then today it was MaryAnn's turn. The biggest egg I've seen yet. over 90 grams!
ep.gif

18759_bigeggs.jpg

(left to right : AA bat, normal MaryAnn egg, yesterday's Ginger egg, today's massive MaryAnn egg)
Should I be concerned? We changed to an organic mill feed from pellet recently, this being the assumed cause of the binding.

I think the hens eat more living with us.

Input from more experienced persons appreciated.
Thanks

*Update*
running a bit of conversion to Imperial (to my country of birth, please get with the rest of the world and go metric)
a 90 gram egg would make for a 1.08 K doz. Wow. An extra-large dozen is 770 grams. Jumbo is 880. Super Jumbo!

Last edited:
My 20-year-old sister is studying chemistry at Arizona State University and if you just mention *metric system* in her presence - she is guaranteed to go on a long rant about how stupid our current system is and how much better it would be if we were all metric. In theory, I agree, but mostly it's just funny to set her off
lau.gif

Your sister is right. (See you set me off)
The US would do well to get with the world. Not just in measurement.

It would be a huge step for children. To communicate in the same language the rest of the world uses.
And it is so much more straight forward. Direct corelations between mass, distance, and volume. Why the resistance to making things simpler?

Not ranting. Like your sister. It frustrates me. Like many things, America is in the dark ages. However, I am seeing some light ahead. Maybe.

First rough guide for beginners.

1 Kilo is about 2.2 lbs. So for your cooking. One pound is half a kilo.

one litre of water has a mass of a kilo.

One gram is equal to the mass of one cubic centimeter of water. That one cubic centimeter is .01 litre. A natural standard with a one to one relationship. Ahhhh simplicity.

Someone want to break down Imperial the same way? Bwahahahahahahaha!
Off my soap-box now.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom