Humidity and FCM eggs

Foxinthehenhouse

Songster
Aug 7, 2019
Cruso, NC
I put six fertilized FCM eggs under a my always broody hen. I was told that Marans eggs have a hard shell and take a lot of humidity to hatch. They’re due in about three days. Was wondering if I should take the hen out and mist her underside then put her back on the eggs? The breeder said his Marans would come off the nest and get in a shallow pool to get wet the go back to the eggs. Has anyone heard of this?

I put six fertilized FCM eggs under a my always broody hen. I was told that Marans eggs have a hard shell and take a lot of humidity to hatch. They’re due in about three days. Was wondering if I should take the hen out and mist her underside then put her back on the eggs? The breeder said his Marans would come off the nest and get in a shallow pool to get wet the go back to the eggs. Has anyone heard of this?
No I've not heard that. But in the heat my hens sometimes like to cool their feet off in a pan of water.

Five out of the six eggs hatched! It’s been warm here but very low humidity so I took the hen off the nest twice a day and misted her underside lightly and put her back on the nest. I did that for three days before they were due to hatch.
So happy to have five little cuties running around! 🐣🐥

Back
Top Bottom