Humidity and temp once hatched

When chicks hatch, you wait for them to dry up then move them into the brooder. Although when you leave them in the incubator your humidity will be really high so you'll need to open your vents to bring down the humidity back to 65%. and maintain it there. Just repeat that for the following chicks to follow.

Keep your brooder at 99F on one side if it's in your house.

95- 100 degrees, the humidity below 60%
I'm in a low humidity area but with work do get incubator humidity up to 60%. The problem arrises when the chicks move from the incubator to the brooder, where the only variablee seems to be different and much lower humidity. They drink huge amounts of wanter, and lose vitality or die within 48 hours Is it my reverse osmosis water (which is at the same temp as the borrder) is it the save a chick (bad batach?) or is it the lower humidity? I am horrified to be losing so many chicks.

Is there a expiration date on sav-a-chick on the bottle? Are you using the right amount? I never use those additives on new born chicks, just regular water. And with the humidity dropping when removing chicks out the incubator, use a warm water spray bottle to spray in between moving the chicks out.

Is there a expiration date on sav-a-chick on the bottle? Are you using the right amount? I never use those additives on new born chicks, just regular water. And with the humidity dropping when removing chicks out the incubator, use a warm water spray bottle to spray in between moving the chicks out.
Some save a chick packet have a "best if used by" date, and on some it is blank. The instructions are x amount per gallon, but who mixes up a gallon at a time? I've been doing the spray bottle thing. Helps, but still dead chicks in the morning.

So did any survive?

And following directions on a package is really important, cause they have done extensive testing to verify the safety of the product. Btw too much vitamins on a new born chick can be very toxic if your not measuring it right.

Drop 1 degree every day. Humidity isn't really an issue after hatch. HOWEVER, make sure you dip their beak in the waterer when you move them to the brooder, so they know where it is and understand what a thirst sensation is. I've heard of peoples chicks dying simply because they never knew to take a drink. As for the other stuff, I wouldn't know.. my chicks are all natural.

Last edited:
To me the main reason to keep humidity between 40-60% (ie not dropping below 40%) is to prevent pasty butt as if it dries too quick on the butt it gets stuck but one can help with that.
It sounds like temps are too high. Should be 95-99F, can even be 90-95 if they don't start chirping too loudly as a result.

Could also be that your thermometer is off but that is not the end of the world as long as one side is cooler, like 85 F.

If your lamp is too strong and everywhere is 99F then they can't cool themselves off and could overheat which is usually the most likely reason for early deaths.

Back
Top Bottom