Humidity and temp question, Nurture Right 360

I don't change my temp at all. Let me see if I can see what my govee says. Of course mine is tipped over from my hatch so need to stand them up. Lol. Also is the sensor for the govee at the bottom or do u have it at the top? Temp will be lower the lower in the incubator
Thank you! The Govees are the same ones I have been using most of the incubation and when I added a liner and water and locked it down the temperature couldn't bring itself above 98°, at times lower. Humidity was also super high, like 86%, due to the lower temp I'm guessing. I had the incubator at 100.0 to keep it in the 99.5 range but I bumped it up to 101 so that it can be at 99.1 and 99.9 respectively on two different sides. I have this kind of Govee https://a.co/d/3j1zrPn , and it's lying flat (so chicks don't knock them over), so temperature could be lower and the top of the eggs warmer. I definitely don't want them too hot, but sitting that low half the day seems not good.

Basically, I'm either trusting the Govees and keeping my temp at 101 so that it's above 99.0, or I'll keep it the way I had before and have it be potentially super humid and cooler. I don't get it, the humidity is just right when the temperature is just right, but that means incubator needs to be at "101.0." Dang.

Last edited:
Thank you! The Govees are the same ones I have been using most of the incubation and when I added a liner and water and locked it down the temperature couldn't bring itself above 98°, at times lower. Humidity was also super high, like 86%, due to the lower temp I'm guessing. I had the incubator at 100.0 to keep it in the 99.5 range but I bumped it up to 101 so that it can be at 99.1 and 99.9 respectively on two different sides. I have this kind of Govee https://a.co/d/3j1zrPn , and it's lying flat (so chicks don't knock them over), so temperature could be lower and the top of the eggs warmer. I definitely don't want them too hot, but sitting that low half the day seems not good.
Yes the temp will be lower where they are flat.vthe top of the eggs will be a bit warmer. But yes my temp drops down around 98 for lockdown and I have never had an issue. Do you have the vent wide open? If humidity went that high I am guessing either you added too much water or it is where the govee is laying flat so closer to the water. Has your reading on the 360 matched your govee in humidity for incubation? Did you calibrate the govees?

Yes the temp will be lower where they are flat.vthe top of the eggs will be a bit warmer. But yes my temp drops down around 98 for lockdown and I have never had an issue. Do you have the vent wide open? If humidity went that high I am guessing either you added too much water or it is where the govee is laying flat so closer to the water. Has your reading on the 360 matched your govee in humidity for incubation? Did you calibrate the govees?
The only way I've read to calibrate the Govees is to put them in iced water, so instead I just made sure they all matched each other and they did almost perfectly, so I figured I would trust them. They said that the incubator when set at 99.5 was running 98.8, so I bumped it to 100 and had good temps, per the Govees. Candled the eggs on day 15 and all looked well so I figured I would keep it that way, then added water the way I was supposed to on day 18 and when the temp dropped dramatically the humidity spiked so much that when I stuck another thermometer in there it steamed over for the first couple of minutes, said 80s. When I upped the temperature, humidity on the incubator and the Govees both say 70 to 73, pretty much just right. Now I'm concerned I'll have them too hot but the Govees say 99.2 so...🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Oh, vent is all the way open, I have followed the instructions to a T except I've relied on my external thermometers because I read over and over again that the NR360 isn't calibrated reliably. My ambient humidity has been running around 45 so humidity has been a steady 50 in the bator with water in one reservoir the whole time, per the Govees, not matching the incubator until now, always 8 percent off but now I just don't know which one to believe. Thank you so much for chiming in, I'm a first-timer and I'm trying to get it right but just don't know which gadget to believe!

Here's what happened when I added water earlier. Two different thermometers said all was well then dropped quite a bit at lockdown, didn't know that was normal. I've even heard of people incubating at 100.5, seems preferred by some. The drop in temp is lock down, then it stayed low for 4 and 1/2 hours. The bump back up in temp is when I finally put the incubator up to 101. Yikes. Humidity wasn't as low on this one, the second one I put in had it super dramatically high but not once it regulated, so it seems like humidity was actually okay.
1000023342.png

Here's what happened when I added water earlier. Two different thermometers said all was well then dropped quite a bit at lockdown, didn't know that was normal. I've even heard of people incubating at 100.5, seems preferred by some. The drop in temp is lock down, then it stayed low for 4 and 1/2 hours. The bump back up in temp is when I finally put the incubator up to 101. Yikes. Humidity wasn't as low on this one, the second one I put in had it super dramatically high but not once it regulated, so it seems like humidity was actually okay.
View attachment 3825024
I incubate at 45% humidity and lockdown at 65%. Most seem to like that with the 360. I freaked like you the first time my temp dropped during lockdown and was told it was normal. I don't even worry now and haven't had an issue. I did a hatch every 3-5 weeks from Match to the end of July last year. Some people even drop their temps for lockdown.

I think the 100.5 is for still air incubators, but not sure.

I would show you my govee temps but I had duck eggs in mine so the humidity was higher which changed my temps a bit but it was about 97-99 during lockdown. 9/10 of my duck eggs hatched, long story but the last one is still in there and hopefully hatching tomorrow.

There is a post on this site somewhere on how to calibrate the govees, but yes in ice water but you put it in a baggie and remove every bit of air that you can. Get the temp to drop then redo the ice water and do it again until the temp stops dropping and stayed pretty steady. You can also calibrate the humidity with the salt test and then calibrate your 360 to match those and read right for the readings. If you are going to hatch again I would do these things first. Still use the govees even after you calibrate the 360.

GL with your hatch!!! I have 3 eggs on day 19 that I think have internally pipped. Expecting to see an external pip tomorrow

I incubate at 45% humidity and lockdown at 65%. Most seem to like that with the 360. I freaked like you the first time my temp dropped during lockdown and was told it was normal. I don't even worry now and haven't had an issue. I did a hatch every 3-5 weeks from Match to the end of July last year. Some people even drop their temps for lockdown.

I think the 100.5 is for still air incubators, but not sure.

I would show you my govee temps but I had duck eggs in mine so the humidity was higher which changed my temps a bit but it was about 97-99 during lockdown. 9/10 of my duck eggs hatched, long story but the last one is still in there and hopefully hatching tomorrow.

There is a post on this site somewhere on how to calibrate the govees, but yes in ice water but you put it in a baggie and remove every bit of air that you can. Get the temp to drop then redo the ice water and do it again until the temp stops dropping and stayed pretty steady. You can also calibrate the humidity with the salt test and then calibrate your 360 to match those and read right for the readings. If you are going to hatch again I would do these things first. Still use the govees even after you calibrate the 360.

GL with your hatch!!! I have 3 eggs on day 19 that I think have internally pipped. Expecting to see an external pip tomorrow
Thank you so, so much! Okay, I'll quit freaking about the temps and may lower it again, maybe 100.5. 🤞 I so appreciate your input and good luck with your hatch as well! 🎉

Thank you so, so much! Okay, I'll quit freaking about the temps and may lower it again, maybe 100.5. 🤞 I so appreciate your input and good luck with your hatch as well! 🎉
This was mine yesterday when it was laying down. My house was a bit warm so it was up a bit. Today my house is hot so it is up to normal but my house is also almost 80 since we had a really hot day today. Lol. Mine is set at 100 I think only because I needed it at 100 to keep an average temp of 99.5 this incubation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240507-231609.png
    Screenshot_20240507-231609.png
    264.3 KB · Views: 1
This was mine yesterday when it was laying down. My house was a bit warm so it was up a bit. Today my house is hot so it is up to normal but my house is also almost 80 since we had a really hot day today. Lol. Mine is set at 100 I think only because I needed it at 100 to keep an average temp of 99.5 this incubation.
Oh wow, great to see, thank you!
Also, two of my eggs are rocking. :D That's the first time I've seen them move and I'm thankful. Now just hoping their air cell is big enough and they're not too wet. (Always something to worry about for a first time incubator. 😂)

Oh wow, great to see, thank you!
Also, two of my eggs are rocking. :D That's the first time I've seen them move and I'm thankful. Now just hoping their air cell is big enough and they're not too wet. (Always something to worry about for a first time incubator. 😂)
Always something to worry about every time you just worry a bit less each time. Lol

Woohoo on the rocking what day are you on?

I woke up to 3 external pips.

Back
Top Bottom