Hunched over and not happy

I have a six year old Americauna and yesterday I noticed her with tail down, interested but not really eating (crop all but empty later in the day). On inspection the area around her cloaca is swollen and feels full of liquid. There could be an egg in there so treated her as if she was egg bound…warm bath, extra Calcium, 50 mg enteric aspirin, and a bit of olive oil, warm dark sleep in the laundry room over night. She seems the same this morning. Not miserable but still swollen and not eating. Her poop was stuck around her bum but it was fairly normal looking just not firm. Her bottom doesn’t have a good smell about it, something not right…infection?

feels like draining the fluid would be a good idea, maybe? Suggestions and also how do I do the draining if that is the next course of action.

It sounds like she may have ascites (water belly,) which can be common in egg yolk peritonitis, other reproductive disorders, liver problems, and heart failure. Draining a hen with ascites is not a cure, but it may tell you if there is yellow fluid or something else inside. It is not without risk of causing infection or even death in some cases. Disinfecting the area well, and using a large syringe attached to an 18 gauge needle is used. You may want to see a vet, or just give her supportive care. Here is a video:

It sounds like she may have ascites (water belly,) which can be common in egg yolk peritonitis, other reproductive disorders, liver problems, and heart failure. Draining a hen with ascites is not a cure, but it may tell you if there is yellow fluid or something else inside. It is not without risk of causing infection or even death in some cases. Disinfecting the area well, and using a large syringe attached to an 18 gauge needle is used. You may want to see a vet, or just give her supportive care. Here is a video:
thank you, I will look into this.
is there a cure for water belly, it’s such an apt description.also is it contagious?

No cure for water belly. It is a fatal disease, such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, liver disease, cancer, or heart failure. Draining fluid occasionally could give a temporary fix, but she probably will die from the disease that caused the liver disease. Infection is also a good possibility because it (draining) is an invasive procedure. My bantam hen last year suddenly developed ascites at 10 years old. I drained her 3 times over 2 weeks and she was dead. It is not contagious.

Back
Top Bottom