hurricane Ike in OHIO

OHChick

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
ok, i live in west central ohio and the remnants of ike are here now. all i have to say is HOLY MOLY!! we have winds steady at 50mph with gusts over 60mph and it's really scary. no power (but my generator runs my pc and internet...yes i'm a geek!), siding riping off our barn, off our neighbor's homes, shingles coming off everything. trees uprooted and blowing thru the yard, along with shrubs. yeah whole trees and whole shrubs!! i have purple martin houses up on steel poles, they snapped in half like a twig. this is just unbelievable. if it's doing this much damage 1000 miles from where it came ashore, i cannot fathom what sort of destruction it left down in TX and LA.

but the worst part is one of our cats is missing. she gets freaked out by weather and i have no idea where she is. i have walked around the outside of the house at least 10 times calling for her (she usually comes when you call her name) but she's not coming. i pray she is hunkered down someplace.
sad.png

anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else has similar circumstances. maybe we can commiserate.

Oh that sounds bad, I don't like it when bad weather hits, I hope all goes well and you don't get to bad of damage, I'm sorry to hear about your cat, maybe she is just holed up some where and she can't hear you, cat's are pretty smart they know where to go when bad weather hits. I'm sure she will show up after the storm saying wheres supper!
big_smile.png

Keep us posted.

Intriguing... I guess what we've already gotten in Michigan isn't the worst of it yet.

Unfortunately, I'm a serious severe-weather buff, so while I recognize the danger of storms and the hard times they can bring for folks, I also hear that a storm is coming and think, "Awesome!" There is something thrilling about severe weather; maybe it's just the power of nature's fury that gets me excited. It gives me an adrenaline rush.

I'm glad you weren't hurt and hope you find your cat, soon. Likely, she's gotten wet and annoyed and gone off to hide somewhere warm and dry.

I'm a member of Skywarn, by the way.
smile.png

Blew through this morning. Not much rain but a whole lot of wind. Lots of branches and twigs down. A few trees down. Power was out briefly. Internet was out longer.

Most of what wasn't tied down in my yard got blown around. One of my empty blue barrels got blown about 75 feet into the woods. Parts of my burn pile relocated to the house.

Chickens seem to have fared OK.

Good luck you guys in Ohio area! OHchick, I hope your kitty is safe, she probably won't come out til it's over. Let us know! Where do you suppose she'd hide?

OMG! I often think about non-traditional hurricane states at times like these....it'd be like a blizzard hitting us here--we would not know where to begin....

I like a good hurricane party as much as the next person, but it does adversely affect the animals (which takes the fun out of it)...

...I'll keep you guys in our prayers!

Quote:
I said the same thing! We heard two trees come down out behind the house, but from the sound could tell that neither hit the barn. I have the chooks closed in as I could just picture them plastered against the fences and shrubs in all of this wind!

Hope your cat is safe.

update, our well cover (which weighs about 150lbs) blew into the neighbor's yard. so i went and got the tractor to push it up under something and while there i saw that i have live wires sparking at the barn. called the electric company, they said someone would be out. 3 hours later, nothing. had a huge shower of sparks at around 6:30, i called 911, the fire dept came, said nothing they can do, the electric co has to turn it off.

ugh! i have a bunch of alpacas at the barn, i don't want to leave them out in the rain, but i don't want them to burn up either.

barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

the news says the wind here was 75mph, so even more than i thought.

From the looks of radar, it looks like just the northwestern part of Ohio got a bunch of rain this afternoon and that Michigan and southern Canada was hit HARD.

Hope they get the wires taken care of pronto.

Back
Top Bottom