Hy-Line W-36 & W-80

is there more info on what might probably get the hylines?
Other than what you can find by poking around that site, probably not.

When I find that each page has a link to "literature" about that variety, which in turn has links to several .pdf documents.

Looking through them gives a few more bits here and there.

The "Performance Summary Sell Sheets" for Hyline 36 gives the body weight at 17 weeks (1.19-1.25 kg, which is between 2 and 3 pounds.) So these birds are smaller than the Leghorns that are usually available for ordinary people to buy, and are not much heavier than many bantams.

There are a bunch of numbers for how many eggs are laid in what length of time. Days to 50% production is given as 143 days from hatch. This would be the point at which half of pullets have started to lay (about 20 1/2 weeks).

The Hyline 36 "Commerical Management Guide" links to exactly the same .pdf as the "Parent Stock Management Guide." It mentions feather-sexing them (page 25 of the .pdf) That tells me that the parent stock have been specifically bred to have one line with slow-feathering and one line with fast-feathering. Crossing a fast-feathering rooster with a slow-feathering hen gives daughters that feather fast and sons that feather slow. (Same pattern as for gold/silver sexlinks: rooster and daughters show the recessive trait, hen and sons show the dominant trait.) Leghorns are traditionally fast-feathering, so the slow-feathering gene must have been brought in at some point in the past.

There are charts for how much light to provide at what age, to have them all reach the correct size & maturity and then have the whole group start laying at about the same time. I notice that age 20-21 weeks, when half of the pullets are expected to be laying, is getting just under 14 ours of daylight, up from a low of 12 hours a few weeks previously. (So anyone stating that "all chickens" need 16 hours of daylight to lay eggs is clearly wrong, because here are some chickens that will start laying eggs with less than that.) The lighting schedule does go up to 16 hours per day by a certain age, and stay there until they finish laying.

There are many charts and graphs of feed consumption, bird body weight, egg weight, nutrients required in the feed, water consumption, etc. In general the feed amount goes up as the birds get older, bird body weight goes up, egg size goes up, protein in the feed goes down (but they emphasize that the specific amino acids in the feed are important, and the actual crude protein level may vary quite a lot depending on what feed ingredients are used to provide those amino acids.) They decrease the amount of protein in the feed as the birds get older, as a way to control the increasing size of the eggs (they want as many eggs as possible to be in a specific size range, not larger or smaller.)

There are probably other things that can be learned from the information, but those are the ones I've spotted so far. The documents for the W-80 and the Hyline Brown (a sexlink similar to ISA Browns) should have similar levels of information, but I haven't actually gone through them to see for myself.

Other than what you can find by poking around that site, probably not.

When I find that each page has a link to "literature" about that variety, which in turn has links to several .pdf documents.

Looking through them gives a few more bits here and there.

The "Performance Summary Sell Sheets" for Hyline 36 gives the body weight at 17 weeks (1.19-1.25 kg, which is between 2 and 3 pounds.) So these birds are smaller than the Leghorns that are usually available for ordinary people to buy, and are not much heavier than many bantams.

There are a bunch of numbers for how many eggs are laid in what length of time. Days to 50% production is given as 143 days from hatch. This would be the point at which half of pullets have started to lay (about 20 1/2 weeks).

The Hyline 36 "Commerical Management Guide" links to exactly the same .pdf as the "Parent Stock Management Guide." It mentions feather-sexing them (page 25 of the .pdf) That tells me that the parent stock have been specifically bred to have one line with slow-feathering and one line with fast-feathering. Crossing a fast-feathering rooster with a slow-feathering hen gives daughters that feather fast and sons that feather slow. (Same pattern as for gold/silver sexlinks: rooster and daughters show the recessive trait, hen and sons show the dominant trait.) Leghorns are traditionally fast-feathering, so the slow-feathering gene must have been brought in at some point in the past.

There are charts for how much light to provide at what age, to have them all reach the correct size & maturity and then have the whole group start laying at about the same time. I notice that age 20-21 weeks, when half of the pullets are expected to be laying, is getting just under 14 ours of daylight, up from a low of 12 hours a few weeks previously. (So anyone stating that "all chickens" need 16 hours of daylight to lay eggs is clearly wrong, because here are some chickens that will start laying eggs with less than that.) The lighting schedule does go up to 16 hours per day by a certain age, and stay there until they finish laying.

There are many charts and graphs of feed consumption, bird body weight, egg weight, nutrients required in the feed, water consumption, etc. In general the feed amount goes up as the birds get older, bird body weight goes up, egg size goes up, protein in the feed goes down (but they emphasize that the specific amino acids in the feed are important, and the actual crude protein level may vary quite a lot depending on what feed ingredients are used to provide those amino acids.) They decrease the amount of protein in the feed as the birds get older, as a way to control the increasing size of the eggs (they want as many eggs as possible to be in a specific size range, not larger or smaller.)

There are probably other things that can be learned from the information, but those are the ones I've spotted so far. The documents for the W-80 and the Hyline Brown (a sexlink similar to ISA Browns) should have similar levels of information, but I haven't actually gone through them to see for myself.
Wow thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom