I am planning to do something controversial, eating eggs immediately after worming with Ivermectin.

"I dont appreciate the assumption that my information comes from the media or being talked down to like I don't understand how any of this works. I listed my concerns with the issue, and I would appreciate if judgements on my competence werent made because you disagree with my points.
Thank you for your time."

Well said to unwarranted condescension. :highfive:

And that's all I have to say about that...

After reading some of the replies on this thread, just want to put it here that ivermectin overdose can kill a chicken. It's best to be careful if you're using it and knowing the proper dosage.

After discovering my flock has depluming mites, I ordered Ivermectin 1% and Saturday, I treated every chicken in my flock. Since then, I've agonized over egg withdrawal protocols and searched high and low for information on why we observed this little ritual after we worm our chickens. Nothing out there tells me why we have to do this. What will happen to me if I eat these eggs? If I can't find a scientific or medical or even common sense answer to my question, I am forced to conclude a proscription against something may boil down to hysterical nonsense.

Therefore, in the absence of scientific studies on what happens to humans that eat eggs following worming with Ivermectin, I am going to conduct, if not an actual scientific study, at least an experiment using myself as the study subject. And this is a real time thread as I plan to march into the kitchen right now and cook some eggs and eat while reporting the experience as it unfolds.

It's is 10:06 am, and I just took my first bit of three scrambled eggs. I am now consuming them.
I’m curios I need tontreat for mites also. How much ivermectin di you give your chicks?

I do not use Ivermectin on chicks. It would be too toxic.

For adults. 2-3 drops for small chickens. 3-4 drops for medium size, 5-6 drops for roosters and large hens. The drops are placed on the back of the neck.

My concern is with antibiotics with eggs. My duck was on them for 10 days and the vet said it will be in her eggs for 3 months. I don't wanna sell or give away eggs with antibiotics in them. Those I know who I would give or sell to wouldn't want traces of antibiotics in their eggs so I'm trying to figure out just how long they are in them.

My concern is with antibiotics with eggs. My duck was on them for 10 days and the vet said it will be in her eggs for 3 months. I don't wanna sell or give away eggs with antibiotics in them. Those I know who I would give or sell to wouldn't want traces of antibiotics in their eggs so I'm trying to figure out just how long they are in them.
right, so your vet said 3 months., just listen to them.

Yes, if there is a "warning that if given to laying poultry that her eggs must never again be consumed by human", it means the drug isn't tested and approved for use in chickens for the food supply, not that dangerous residues remain forever (or even transfer to the egg) - simply that their use is unauthorized.

I ran across some studies on some off label uses, I could likely find again, residue levels for most common things drop to almost unmeasurable in a few days, even the long acting stuff rarely is detectable for more than a few weeks, and should be within safe limits [*IF* a safe limit is established] before then.

Tl;dr? If you are using something off label, you need to do your own research, and your own risk assessment.

Back
Top Bottom