I am still debating.....Doms or RIR RCs?

Rosecomb RIR! I just think that they're so unique, and such. It is nice seeing that people are becoming a tad more interested in Dominiques lately, though. I'm not meaning to compare them directly to BR's, because they are pretty different but just get Rocks instead of Dominiques, that's how I'd do it. Chunkier, just more delightful...

Anyways, I'd go with Rosecomb RIR's, they were on my wishlist a while back. I had forgotten about them, now I'm having a craving!
hmm.png

Welp, you got me. I did take you for a Seattle winter, with which I'm pretty familiar. You apparently share our blessed winter conditions. The birds with which you had troubles would have been poorly off here as well. We've had Sussex, NH's (here in NH), Rocks, Faverolles, Australorps, and SG Dorkings, all of which suffered horribly. Mercy culling in each variety--extreme neurological damage, craned heads, and general pity all around. We, too, have good ventilation, but I'm convinced it has to do with local as well. I grew up five miles down the road, where I could keep Japanese bantams and mille fleurs with minimal damage, but the property was high and dry. Now we're down the hill in the northside valley of a small mountain, which traps air; moreover, we're on lake level, which adds to it. The air itself is wetter and single combs are just not a go.

Still, all of the breeds mentioned on this thread would thrive here. We have RC Anconas and RC White Dorkings, which have zero issues. I can butcher from dawn to dusk, but the idea of slow painful frostbite going on just seems off. I like knowing, when I can hear the chill wind, and the temperature is dropping, that the birds are fine.

A local farm in Roaring River, NC. She sold me 2 dozen "barred-rock" eggs. I sold them all except those 3. The roo is barred rock but not my girls. My very most favorite breeds. A lot of folks around here seem to be looking for those "old" breeds.

Back
Top Bottom