I can't get rid of Mycoplasma

MG and MS are out there. Wild birds can carry those. I have heard from others on BYC that no hatchery is guaranteed to be completely free of mycoplasma. But you usually have a better chance of not getting it. What are your goals in having chickens? If you are just going to raise birds for eggs, and possibly meat, I would only cull sick birds.

I thought the article from the Belgian vet was very informative. Unless one is planning on selling chicks or their eggs for hatching, I think that vaccinating might help for MG. I don’t think that MS vaccine is available here. Culling sick birds showing symptoms should help to control the disease.

MG and MS are out there. Wild birds can carry those. I have heard from others on BYC that no hatchery is guaranteed to be completely free of mycoplasma. But you usually have a better chance of not getting it. What are your goals in having chickens? If you are just going to raise birds for eggs, and possibly meat, I would only cull sick birds.
Nothing is sick. A mishap happened in bad weather and they got wet in the cold. I noticed a respiratory problem after that. It lasted a few days and I've never seen it since. Where I messed up is having them tested.

I have googled and almost no hatcheries test for Mycoplasma. Would you like to know the reason why? The reason is something like 70% of chickens have it. If they test, they most likely have it and then they can't sell anymore. That is why they don't test. Most of you have it also...you just don't know it.

Nothing is sick. A mishap happened in bad weather and they got wet in the cold. I noticed a respiratory problem after that. It lasted a few days and I've never seen it since. Where I messed up is having them tested.
Why are you under the impression you HAVE to kill your flock?

You don't have to kill them but you should not sell or give away any birds.

I have googled and almost no hatcheries test for Mycoplasma. Would you like to know the reason why? The reason is something like 70% of chickens have it. If they test, they most likely have it and then they can't sell anymore. That is why they don't test. Most of you have it also...you just don't know it.
I have mycoplasma in my flock. Which came from one rooster from a hatchery. Weather/stress can trigger but not all birds get it. 90% of the WORLDS population of birds (not just chickens) have it. It is rarely fatal. You can naturally treat the symptoms and if you know what the triggers are you can attempt to curb it. You can eat the eggs from these birds which will not get you sick. (I've done EXTENSIVE research and of course my own experience).

If you also didn't know, hens can pass the disease through their eggs to the chick.

But I'm curious why are you culling your birds? You can treat them and it usually goes away in about a month with natural treatment.

The disease went away after 2 days but, if you had done extensive research, you would realize that this disease never goes away. It's like having AIDS or Herpes. Yours birds always have it and it always spreads. The State of Arkansas has blocked me from getting new birds or selling any birds. I can't even legally give them away. They have to be culled. If not, I can't ever sell eggs. I can't ever have any other chickens.

The disease went away after 2 days but, if you had done extensive research, you would realize that this disease never goes away. It's like having AIDS or Herpes. Yours birds always have it and it always spreads. The State of Arkansas has blocked me from getting new birds or selling any birds. I can't even legally give them away. They have to be culled. If not, I can't ever sell eggs. I can't ever have any other chickens.
I'd not want to deal with having the disease in my flock either.
I'd rather start over with a disease free flock.

I highly doubt the state can tell you you can never get more chickens once your current flock is gone.

Back
Top Bottom