I did something icky to 3 of my 2wk old keets yesterday...

PeepsCA

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 28, 2011
BFE, CA
... And I really feel bad for doing it
hit.gif

I put numbered wing bands on 3 that I am keeping - Uh huh, I basically body pierced my poor babies, thru the web of skin on their left wing
sickbyc.gif
!!! It did not feel good to them... they did not bleed or anything, but they cried when I did it
sad.png
so I'm really feelin' guilty still, even tho it was over quick, they are fine and not fussing with the bands at all... but UGH! I know a lot of breeders use wing bands to ID, keep track of and record their birds, but this is a first time experience for me... it just seemed so brutal, like worse than piercing a baby's ears, lol. Maybe I'm just bein' a weeny about it
hmm.png

This is the video I watched, showing how to do it. There was no way I was going to do this to my day olds... these chicks in this video look much bigger than day old keets are. Day old keets are so tiny that they'd be draggin' the band around and trippin over it! And there's just not enough web to poke thru when they are that little! Ouchy!

Awww.....
hugs.gif
.... but its over quick and now you don't have to worry about leg bands becoming too small. I assume you are starting with the requirements to get your NPIP certificate?

deb

... And I really feel bad for doing it
hit.gif

I put numbered wing bands on 3 that I am keeping - Uh huh, I basically body pierced my poor babies, thru the web of skin on their left wing
sickbyc.gif
!!! It did not feel good to them... they did not bleed or anything, but they cried when I did it
sad.png
so I'm really feelin' guilty still, even tho it was over quick, they are fine and not fussing with the bands at all... but UGH! I know a lot of breeders use wing bands to ID, keep track of and record their birds, but this is a first time experience for me... it just seemed so brutal, like worse than piercing a baby's ears, lol. Maybe I'm just bein' a weeny about it
hmm.png

This is the video I watched, showing how to do it. There was no way I was going to do this to my day olds... these chicks in this video look much bigger than day old keets are. Day old keets are so tiny that they'd be draggin' the band around and trippin over it! And there's just not enough web to poke thru when they are that little! Ouchy!

They look fine now...they have forgotten all about it. Probably thinking about eating dinner .

Awww.....
hugs.gif
.... but its over quick and now you don't have to worry about leg bands becoming too small. I assume you are starting with the requirements to get your NPIP certificate?

deb

Yah, I'm workin' on it... every bird has to be tested for Pullorum-Typhoid (and numbered/banded in some way), and 30 birds will also have to be tested for Avian Influenza to initially get certified, after a coop/pen inspection by a 2nd visit. Then another 30 birds get tested 6 months after the first round of testing for Avian Influenza (3rd visit) again, and then if I understand it right I just have to get the testing done once yearly to keep the flocks certified. (My Peafowl and Turkey also have to be tested and banded too).

So I bought a bunch of wing bands and started with the keets I'm keeping. I am going to band my adults like this too, but I may use a different style wing band, that rivet on with a tool, and are permanent. These I used on the keets are the bendable tab kind, and can be taken off, so I am not sure they are the best choice. I just wanted to make sure this wing banding thing was a do-able way to band all my birds... and it seems ok so far.

I can wait and band all the birds at the time we are dealing with the testing, but I think it'll be easier if I band them all ahead of time and just focus on caging, catching and testing everybody. Dealing with around 100 birds is going to beat us hard.... ugh! (I keep asking myself if I really want to do this or not... lol.)

Not sure what I'm gonna do, I was thinking about a somewhat portable, easily moved chute type set up like what you suggested for catching them all more easily, but I'd like to have the birds all caught and waiting when the tester arrives... I'm not sure I'll be able to round up enough cages and crates to use tho. So we'd have to move the chute from pen to pen as we go... to 5 different pens sense these are individual flocks, not all in one pen. Catching my free rangers will be fun fun fun... ugh. Probably have to set up a10'x10' chain link dog kennel (with a tarp on it for a temp roof) in the driveway where they are used to getting treats, and trick them into the kennel and shut the door (now 6 pens!). Then I'd use the chute system to catch them. They will be the worst to deal with, they have not been touched/handled since they were keets and most of them are 3-4 yrs old, lol. Anyway, yah this is gonna be SO much fun (NOT). I'll have to create some sort of working system tho, since it won't just one a one time thing. Either that or I need to part with some more birds... and I don't wanna, lol.

I believe the ones that go on the wings stay on forever. They go through a bit of skin behind the ligament that is part of their flying mechanism. Kind of like an earring. The band is designed to accomodate that ligament for the whole life of the bird.

deb

So, how long will the wing band stay on the keets? Forever? Or do you have to change it as the grow?

Back
Top Bottom