I don't know what this is!!!

jeslewmazer

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 24, 2009
Mississippi
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) ---- Speckled Sussex, 1 1/2-2yrs
old, 7+ lbs have not put her on a scale.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.----- Now just swollen feet and legs, before her jaw was swollen in the same way (like fluid buildup).

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?---- A few months now.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?---- No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.------ No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.-----Don't know of anything. The others she is with
all appear normal.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.----- She has been eating and drinking fine. The same all my other chickens.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.----Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?----Had separated her from the rest on some grass for two weeks. I
don't want to give her the wrong thing, but did give her Sulmet one time in her water.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?----I would rather self treat if possible.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.---will post below

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use----large pen, with cover, on the ground, with a perch for roosting.

DSC09185.jpg

DSC09189.jpg

Right foot
DSC09195.jpg

Left foot
DSC09194.jpg

It does not look like Bumble foot. They feel squishy and are mostly around her "ankles" and "knees". She is pearl legged, and the swollen part look slightly green, like a bruise. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm just not sure what this is, so I don't know what to look up.
barnie.gif

I would not say much more than normal, but I will have to check tomorrow to be 100% positive. Seeing how she is sleeping on them right now.

the red spotted area on her right foot makes me think of some kind of insect bite. Poor girl, is she able to walk around or does it bother her alot?

Quote:
No blueish color. She is not laying right now, which I don't blame her, so her comb is small an pink instead of red.

Quote:
She can walk pretty good, but sometimes she does kinda hobble. But she overall seems fine. Dust bathing among other activities.

Quote:
I will probably have to try that, but I did wash her feet for the picture. She didn't know what to think about that.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom