I finally caught the wandering hound.

Kelfeathers

Chirping
Aug 19, 2015
Marengo, Ohio
This hound has been wandering our neighborhood for around a year now without a collar on. She's been bothering all of the neighbors and their livestock. No one has claimed her as their dog and the warden is done with coming out here to try and catch her. Thankfully, she hasn't killed any animals yet, but she's been coming closer and closer to my chickens. I keep them in a locked run, but better safe than sorry.

I've been working on getting her to trust me for months now. My in-laws have asked on multiple occasions if I've caught her yet and have been anxious to get her up to the shelter. Today I finally caught her and carried her into our kitchen. I put my lab's collar and leash on her and grabbed my inhaler and keys. We were all set to go to the shelter, but there was a snag. My husband had to leave for work in 20 minutes.

My MIL said she couldn't drive so we waited for my FIL to get home. My husband went to go talk to his dad while I waited in their backyard. He came back totally livid several minutes later. His dad told him to let her go because he didn't want to cause problems with the neighbors. In the last year the neighbors have made it clear they want her dead or gone and the dog warden has been telling people to shoot her. Who is he going to cause problems with other than me when that dog makes off with one of my chickens?

I told my husband I wasn't going to let her go because I would never be able to catch her again. I was going to keep her in the bathroom until he got home tonight at 1:30 am. Unfortunately, his mood scared the dog so badly she slipped the lead and ran down the road.

My husband was less than amused, but my asthma was acting up too much to try and catch her again today. I told him I'd try again the next time I saw her. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch her before someone kills her or she gets hit by a car. When I was sitting with her today she was a very sweet, but scared dog. She also appeared to be a very hungry dog so that didn't ease my mind about my chickens.

In retaliation my husband said he's going to start leaving the gate on his parents' porch open all the time. They installed it to keep her out because she kept chewing up their dog's stuff and hanging out on their porch. Everyone has been told a million times to keep that gate closed and to chase her out of their yard if we see her. He said if they're fine with her running the neighborhood then they can be fine with her in their yard.

I just shrugged and said, "Have at it."

If nobody wants the dog around why has nobody shot it yet? That's a lot of trouble to go through to catch then drive to shelter where it's going to be penned for a month or so then put down anyway. I'd think the dog would be happier with the hand of god (well placed bullet) taking it's life when it was free and unknowing of it coming. Surprised the warden didn't do that. Back where I grew up the town constable also took care of dogs running wild. Any dog running deer or harassing livestock was shot on site, collar or not.

Wow. Just. Wow. I agree with Egghead - the dog would be better off if someone would just put her down. Either that, or if you feel so badly for her, feed her and make her your dog. As far as your husband and his family - no, I'm not going there... To each his own, I guess. Just curious - if you wanted her to go to the shelter, why didn't you just take her?

I can't drive and even if I could we only have one car anyway.

I actually did think about asking to keep her since I really enjoyed my time with her today, but we already have two large dogs and are preparing to move this summer. I'm sure I wouldn't have problems with her after I had time to train her, but with 2 large dogs, 8 cats, 16 chickens and assorted other critters it would be me being driven to the shelter instead.

Thankfully, it's a shelter that only puts down animals with aggression problems or extreme health issues (They have it posted in their office and tell you that anytime you drop an animal off). It has a quick turn around so I'd get adopted quickly, but I don't think I'd be very happy as someone's new pet. What if they don't have the food I like or they have a really bossy cat? A three year old with sticky hands and my long hair wouldn't be good either. I also shed a lot in spring and fall so some people may not like that. I'm not very high energy and I'm quiet so I'd probably be okay for an older couple or someone who lives in an apartment. At least I'm house trained! That's always a plus

I had to grab her by the scruff, pin her down, straddle her back and pick her up in a bear hug gesture to get her in my house today. She was so scared. I don't think she'll be coming back for awhile. I told my friend about her and she said she'd see if anyone around her wants a dog. If I catch her again maybe I can line up a good home for her.

Back
Top Bottom