I get MY Dream !

WWolf

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 27, 2007
San Diego
I am finally getting My Dream life ! A very sweet, clean, comfy, quiet, out of the way place to live and get off the grid with fresh clean well water, a million dollar view and.....A place to raise al little flock of my own. Over the years I have raised everything from spiders and fish to pigeons. Now is my time for chickens.
I even have an incubator. I should be ready for eggs in late jan- early february.
I am very interested in heritage breeds. I am going use a combo semi free range-chicken tractor setup I am interested in finding Ancona eggs. I have poked around in places like Mc Murray with not much luck Sold out-all males left. Any advice or ideas are welcome. Thanks, John

Just want to say
welcome-byc.gif

Congratulations on your Dream-Come-True! That is always nice to hear.
smile.png

I am not sure about where to get the chickens you are looking for though....Anyone?

NAICS ! Voluntary now... Looks innocent enough on the USDA'S web-page Right ?

WRONG! This is the most SCARY Slippery slope I have ever seen. THIS IS a scheme to control FOOD and food suppliers. It will be Devastating to all small AG business. The Government does not belong in your food supply, unless you agree with the way it handles money...
Sorry for the rant ! just the mention BOILS me ! Thanks for you input I am still unsure how to properly start off. I look forward to hearing some helpful and interesting things here.
P.S. I am out of beautiful San Diego County... Mention chickens here... people start looking to see how many teeth you have left...I feel comfy here ; ) Thanks, John

Last edited:
I have Anconas! 5 pullets and a rooster - I love em I highly recommend them. Beautiful birds that lay well - and mine are nice & smart in the yard (we have a lot of hawks in the area - and are def in the woods - bobcats, foxes, coyotes etc....) But I would be afraid to ship them. I got mine at my local feedstore. (closer to spring you should have more luck) If you can't find any closer to you I am sure we could figure something out
wink.png

congrats and good luck with your new adventures!!
I dream of gettin off the grid someday....

Congratulations on the new home! BTW Chickens are addictive. If you plan on a few now build for twice as many!

If you are looking for some great input and ideas on off grid or wish to share your knowledge you should check out sufficientself.com It is a BYC sister site that many of the great people here contribute to.

Thanks for the kind words and interest. I an nearing completion of the renovation,... A word of warning to those interested in doing a job right... Don't pull up those few extra floor tiles..... Finally gonna be moving in next couple of weeks. I found a BIG scientific grade excellent condition incubator on craigslist, it was just too great a deal to pass up. The guy even had it working when I arrived to pick it up. Now I have two. I should be ready to hatch a few eggs as early as next month IF I can find the eggs. Looking forward to my new feathered journey in paradise. and learning all I can with the interesting folks here. Wolf

Back
Top Bottom