I Got a New Dog!

She does bite but I think she's doing fine without her mom. The people we got her from already sold most of the pups, but the socializing, we would have to work on that, i know.
Don't worry. Although having a younger pup is more work, as long as she is healthy, you have nothing to worry about. Once she is vaccinated, I would just let her see how great the world is. :)

Don't worry. Although having a younger pup is more work, as long as she is healthy, you have nothing to worry about. Once she is vaccinated, I would just let her see how great the world is. :)
The person we got her from says she is already vaccinated so I guess we're almost good to go!
1f600.png

There's no way your pup has had a full round of puppy shots yet. Its a series of shots, usually a couple of weeks apart. Have you taken this puppy to the vet yet? Even if they did a round of shots, it still needs a wellness check up (the next rounds of shots, wormed and to figure out when to schedule rabies vaccine). Those shots are important, parvo, puppy strangles, distemper and whole host of other things a heartbreaking to watch a baby dog go thru.

PS- are we ever going to get to see pictures of said adorable puppy?

Puppies need three sets of shots at 6, 9, and 12 weeks is how i did it. I dont take my puppies out of our property until then( if youve ever dealt with parvovirus you know why)

Definitely get this pup going on the rest of it's shots. Parvo is an ugly thing for a pup to come down with.

As far as raising it to be good around your chickens? If you want to turn out a good ranch dog you've got about 2 years or more of constant training to do with this dog. That is how long larger dogs are considered pups, it's time well spent. I raise and train my own ranch dogs from the time they are 8 weeks old. I do two things: First, I keep the pups under my control at all times, either on a leash or in their yard. They are NEVER allowed to be loose or unsupervised around the chickens. That is simply expecting way more then a pup can handle and an epic FAIL can be expected. I don't ever want them chasing or catching birds, that just sets back your training that much more. During this time they are also learning all their basic obedience commands, come, sit, stay etc.

Second, I take pup with me, on a leash, for barn chores and any other time I'm working outside. Pup goes right in with the chickens with me, on the leash, and I use that time to discourage bad behavior. Calm behavior and ignoring chickens is highly praised. This goes on day after day after day. And then some more. Eventually dog gets over the excitement, chickens become not only boring, every day stuff, but dog knows they belong to ME and are not to be messed with.

Some dogs are easier to train then others. Not all dogs can be trained to be trustworthy around chickens, I don't care what anybody says, there are some dogs that just can never be trusted, they don't have the temperament. You just have to see how your dog does as it matures but you must give it the benefit of consistent training right from the start.

Last edited:
The people you got her from probably only gave her the 6 week vaccine. She will need more shots and heartworm prevention. And are we ever going to see pics?!

Okay so sorry I never posted a picture of my puppy! I just now remembered so here's a few pictures of her when I first got her:

And heres a few of her now:

Back
Top Bottom