I got the rooster blues

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
This year has been extremely tough to sell/give away extra roos. I currently have 43 birds, out of those 43 3 are chicks who's sex is currently unknown, 10 are roosters and 30 are hens. Now I have tried to get rid of the extra roosters, tried selling them, tried giving them away ect. Much to my surprise nobody wants them. Whats a girl to do when she has tooo many roos terrorizing the hens but is tooo emotional to dispatch them? It has gotten to the point that the girls would rather spend the day on the roost then be on the ground with those boys chasing after them. This morning all the boys decided to fight with each other and then segregate in the yard and have a crowing competition.... We live in a suburban neighborhood where it is no longer legal to have poultry due to a change in the local ordinance last year but I decided to keep my birds despite this new ordinance because I had the birds a few years before this took place. I recently had to do my NPIP certification in order to legally sell birds here, I really thought that was gonna help move the extras but really it didn't do me a bit of justice but it did give me peace of mind in reguards to my flocks health. I have never been so frusterated in my life, nor have I ever had such a hard time even giving birds away free! These are really decent roosters which makes it even harder to dispatch them, however I fear that is what is gonna need to be done in order to restore peace within the flock.
he.gif
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom