I hate these leg bands

PunkinPeep

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
SouthEast Texas
Back in September, i saved up my pennies and spent a small chunk of money on leg bands for my flock. I bought the numbered spiral bandettes, i think they're called. They're plastic and wrap around the chicken's leg. I also bought the little colored spirals for my chicks because i thought i could put them on and easily take them back off again.

Well, the numbered bands keep coming off! Or worse, they end up caught on the chicken's foot and causing a wound! I'm very frustrated with this. I bought the appropriate sizes for my breeds, and i expected this to be a helpful endeavor....so that i could track each chicken, etc., etc.

The little spirals for the chicks stay on just fine, but when i want to take them off, i'm finding i have to cut them off. They aren't flexible enough to sort of unwind off of the chick's leg.

I'm mostly venting here, but now i'm thinking about investing in the metal numbered bands with that you have to have a special tool to put on.

Any advice? I would really like to be able to keep up with my chickens and not worry about losing bands in the dirt or having injuries because of them. I want a solution that will stay attached to the chicken with injuring it. Is that too much to ask?

I have no advice, but will follow your thread.

I am just to the point where I need to invest in bands - the choices
barnie.gif

Very glad to hear about the spirils.

Question - how do you know their size chart is correct - I am thinking hatchery vs. the larger heritage birds?

One thing about the metal - we get so hot here, the sun is harsh - and even aluminum bowls heat up to the burn your skin point - I worry that the metal would also heat and be uncomfortable
idunno.gif

Quote:
I appreciate your post. I've been looking to get some bands also, and I can't bring myself to buy any yet. Anything metal bothers me because of our harsh winters...I'm sure it's all in my head, but would rather forego making them even more cold. The plastic spirals looked like they would come too easily...I need to keep track of generations, so I won't go that route.

I have seen people use colored zip ties. You will need to cut them off later if you put them on your chicks, but I wonder if that would be a route to go?

Never had any problems with mine. One of my birds had one on her leg for four years now.

I am sure with weather, age and wear and tear, you may need to replace them when you see they needs to be replaced.

As for metal, when you have it against the skin (think of your wedding ring), it stays warm against the skin and cold on the outside. It really does not affect them.

We are going to be needing some soon and have been trying to decide which are best. Will be watching this thread. I'm glad HorseFeatherz NV mentioned the metal getting hot,. That makes sense.
Waiting for the old timers to chime in with some good answers...
old.gif
caf.gif

I hadn't thought of the metal bands getting hot. I wonder if they really do.

Has anyone used the wing bands? I don't really understand how those work. Are you supposed to be able to put them on the wing when they're chicks, and they stay on forever?

YOu could always toe punch...can't tell who is who from across the pen butyou can when you hold them and as long as they have their feet they will carry their mark

metal bands getting hot???? No different that your wedding bands. No, those are two different things....an object sitting out in the sun vs on your finger. No they do not get burned by metal bands.
old.gif

Beth, the best settup to date is numbered wing bands. they are metal, but bands of any kind do not get hot enough to be uncomfortable. Metal wing bands do require punching one end through the wing web, but after years of use, I can tell ya that chickens act like it never happened, so no discomfort. They come in colors and numbered and are permanent. They can be applied to chicks after they are feathered and last a lifetime with no chance of loss. They also can be removed, if you want..
Prior to that age, a toe punch is ideal. with all the combinations available, it`s easy to identify your chicks. Here`s where to get it all...........Pop

http://www.bellefarm.net/

Back
Top Bottom