I Have a conundrum

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
One of my girls went broody and is now the proud Mama of four chicks. She is currently raising them in the broody cage.

Problem is, I think another is going broody, and I'm not at all sure that the broody cage is big enough for them both. It is apx 5x5 and floored with sand. I built it for two, but...

The existing chicks are almost two weeks old. I was wondering if I should take the entire nest tonight and put her back in her own coop with the chicks? Or would that be too disruptive? There are 5 adults (4 if I move the other broody) including 1 rooster, and 8 twelve week pullets in that coop.

Maybe I should wait until the other commits?

I try to get babies into the main coop as early as I can. The first broody I ever had hatched a lone baby in the coop. Had marauding dogs come in and kill 6 of the 12 week old babies, Mama, and my rooster when the lone baby was 3 weeks old. She stayed with the flock. I gave her a heat source and she is now Queen of my flock, after hatching 5 babies in the wild long grass last summer.
20230725_192706.jpg

I've found babies integrate more easily than the teens do. By the time they're teens, adults are pushing them off anyway. When they're tiny, the adults may not sit and warm them, but they will hang out near them and round them up over safety things.

At 2 weeks, the babies will follow mama. As long as mama can evade the higher ranked adults, should be fine.

Roosters learn fast to NOT mess with broodies and good ones will tidbit for mama who then tidbits for the babies. When mama abandons the babies, the rooster is supposed to step in and lead the babies.

I try to get babies into the main coop as early as I can. The first broody I ever had hatched a lone baby in the coop. Had marauding dogs come in and kill 6 of the 12 week old babies, Mama, and my rooster when the lone baby was 3 weeks old. She stayed with the flock. I gave her a heat source and she is now Queen of my flock, after hatching 5 babies in the wild long grass last summer.
View attachment 3830305
Roosters learn fast to NOT mess with broodies and good ones will tidbit for mama who then tidbits for the babies. When mama abandons the babies, the rooster is supposed to step in and lead the babies.
I'm a little spooked about this piece. First time I let the babies out a young cockerel (15 weeks) was interesyed in them. I don't know whether he actually wanted to hurt them or was just curious, but Mama reacted and they got into a full-out war. Neither would submit and I had to beat him off to end it. By that time babies are scattered and crying so I had a time getting them back into the broody cage.

On a side note, this cockerel is not part of "her" flock.

I'm a little spooked about this piece. First time I let the babies out a young cockerel (15 weeks) was interesyed in them. I don't know whether he actually wanted to hurt them or was just curious, but Mama reacted and they got into a full-out war. Neither would submit and I had to beat him off to end it. By that time babies are scattered and crying so I had a time getting them back into the broody cage.

On a side note, this cockerel is not part of "her" flock.
Cockerels are hormonal idiots. I'm speaking of adult roos. And the fact that Mama was willing to keep beating on him is a good sign for her willingness to be "DONT MESS WITH MAMA"

He still wing-dances in front of the cage, but once she's out with the chicks he seems to ignore her. I waved him off today when he got too close and Mama puffed up. He went.

This was darling, though. One of the young cockerels standing guard. He never got too close, but neither did the other boys challenge his guard position.

20240514_134345.jpg

He still wing-dances in front of the cage, but once she's out with the chicks he seems to ignore her. I waved him off today when he got too close and Mama puffed up. He went.

This was darling, though. One of the young cockerels standing guard. He never got too close, but neither did the other boys challenge his guard position.

View attachment 3831942
He's learning how to be good. She told him to BACK OFF! And he's telling her he's keeping lookout. He may very well turn out to be your best babysitter.

Back
Top Bottom