I have a Mystery lameness?

AmberRex

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
As if everything else wasn't enough my little bantam Bump is limping. She has been for a few weeks, she is separated and is resting in the conservatory. I can't find any breaks or swelling but her foot is so small it is really hard to examine. She is eating and drinking fine, her eyes are bright and her feathers are normal but she just can't use her leg. She can wiggle it as she tries to stand on it but then she decides not to and she spends most of the time lying down. No apparent cuts or bruises either. Please help!
hmm.png

( Her foot is kind of hard to photograph on account of the feathers!)

The problem could be higher in the leg or in the hip. If it is something like a fractured hip or a fracture high on the thigh bone, it will never heal properly. It may not be possible for you to even figure it out. I don't know of much you can do other than what you are doing, helping her to rest it, in case it is some sort of strain or sprain. Be sure to look for scaly leg mites, which raise the leg scales a bit.

Here is a good writeup on leg and foot problems. Perhaps something in here will help.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Thank you for your very helpful info. I shall try my best but because she doesn't appear to be in much if any pain, I shall leave her to it and see. Poor Bump.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom