I have no idea about baby chicks HELP!

ab2401

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Woodstock, AL
So I haven't gotten my chicks yet..... but the first ones I buy will be little I'm sure.

They need to stay inside, right?
*for how long?
*what will I need for them?

When they grow up, if I have M&F and eggs are laid, can I not just leave them with the mommy to raise? or do they have to be Incubated?

Hello fellow Alabaman! You will need to keep them warm and away from predators. It's warm enough outside now her in Alabama the beautiful. If you have a suitable coop. You may want to invest in a Raising Chicks book. Although, keeping them inside for fun is messy but still fun. I kept my babies in wash tub a No. 5 i believe it's called. When they start to jump out I put them in something bigger. I started my chicks this year in March. But I have started in full summer also. Good luck and have fun. Our family farm was on your side of the state when I was a kid. In Orrville.
cool.png

humm... dont know where Orrville is sorry, I grow up here... kinda we moved to GA when I was 8 so I'm kinda learning things over here now.

Do you live close to us?

I would really like to keep them inside.... I just dont know how that would go over with my little girl (3months old) I dont know to much about how clean they are at this point..... but I will care for them the way they need to so if thats what it takes then thats what I'm going to do.

SO you say they will do on outside then? I'm working on the coop thing if you didnt see my 1st post heres the link....so you kinda get the idea with that... but I will have it ready.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=59551

you think even at night?

I'm on the Ga side of the state. I would get about 4 or 5 girls. Roos have can get aggressive, wouldn't be good around kids. And as everyone has said you will have some more later. Get a feeder tray and some waterer's. Some fit mason jars. Keep them inside at night until they are full feathered. You'll know the difference. Woodstock was on our way to Tuscaloosa when we went to the Big City shopping. You can subscribe to the Alabama Farmers and Consumers Bulletin. This is free for all Alabama residents. You can send you snail mail addy to Al Farmers and Consumers Bulletin. P.O. Box 3336 Montomery,AL 36109-0336 or email t [email protected] website. www.agi.alabama.gov you may find something local. Start small if you like them you will increase your flock. I agree, chickens would go nicely in your coop. I use hay as litter.

When I get chicks I keep them inside until they are feathered. I put a lamp in there with a regular light bulb, I think it was 60 watts. I take them out each day for longer periods of time to allow them to acclimate to outdoor weather. I'm not sure how warm it is at night where you are, but my chicks were outside all night when it was 40's at night and a few times 30's. They kept each other warm, I had 5.
If a hen hatches the eggs you can leave the chicks with her. Depends on the roo whether or not you would have to take him out, but I would keep a close eye to be sure.
Have fun!

I kept my chicks inside when they were little. When they were 4 weeks old i started taking them outside when it was warm out, and when they were 6 weeks old they moved outside during the day and were brought back inside at night. At 8 weeks old they were staying out during the day and at night
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom