I have ONE chicken, what do I do???

LMP6383

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2016
Hi everyone,

I was given three pullets about a year ago and because of predators, I am down to one hen. I know chickens are unhappy alone but I don't know what to do - should I buy chicks for her or should I find another adult? And how do I go about integrating the new chicken(s) into our lives? My chicken is free range and is only cooped up at night.

I'd appreciate any input. I'm overwhelmed and saddened by losing her.

Thanks again.

Hi everyone,

I was given three pullets about a year ago and because of predators, I am down to one hen. I know chickens are unhappy alone but I don't know what to do - should I buy chicks for her or should I find another adult? And how do I go about integrating the new chicken(s) into our lives? My chicken is free range and is only cooped up at night.

I'd appreciate any input. I'm overwhelmed and saddened by losing her.

Thanks again.
You could buy some started pullets, They wont be as big as your hen but they'd be big enough to defend themselves.. Though they are a bit pricey

The answer is easy whether you have one or ten...
GET MORE CHICKENS!!!

In all seriousness, consider finding some large pullets or laying hens. Keep them separated long enough that you feel comfortable you're not introducing new disease to put your existing bird in danger. Chickens have a natural pecking order that must be established, but they are social creatures. I'm sure she'll appreciate some company to make her feel safer and stay warm on cold nights.

I would get a chicken a bit older. When I brought in younger chicks around my one year-old Rhode Island Reds they were big bullies to the point where I had to separate them until the new ones got bigger. I thought I raised my reds better than that but I guess chickens will be chickens. That's just my experience and advice though

you need to learn chicken math my dear! I started with 2 baby chicks, before I knew it I had 10 wonderful birds.
7 are now laying eggs, and 3 just cuddle and make noise! They are roosters. black, white crested polish roosters, way too cute to cull off! Barred rock shown in my avatar lays big brown eggs for my breakfast!

Thanks for all the responses everyone! I really appreciate it! I have found two hens to bring home. Should I separate them from my hen or let them free range together and put them in separate coops at night?

Nowhere in the responses has there been any mention of why a single chicken may experience some sense of abandonment and why we feel the need to get them companions when they lose their flock. It's difficult to even come up with a word to describe what a chicken experiences that doesn't have a flock because all of our words to describe it apply to human emotions of loneliness, and chickens don't experience loneliness the same as humans.

Why is this even an issue? Because it helps to understand what your single hen needs in the way of other chickens when you are trying to decide how to provide her with a new flock. It determines how you integrate new chickens with your original hen and even whether to choose chicks or older birds.

It's pretty simple. A chicken needs a flock, not for friendships, but for the security and well being it provides. The important thing to keep in mind when you are going through the integration process is that your single hen doesn't need to welcome or like the newcomers to derive immediate benefit from being around them. So you do not need to be in any big hurry to toss them all together.

Take your time. Let the new birds adjust to being in a new setting and get used to the single hen by providing a safe enclosure where they can all observe one another but not feel compelled to get into any pecking order skirmishes. After a period of a few days or even a week, you can begin letting them mingle for increasing amounts of time until they are all comfortable with each other. As opposed to simply tossing them together, this greatly reduces the incidence of conflict and even encouraging bullying that can become a chronic problem.

It also helps to let them all sleep together in the coop after the first night you have the new ones. The most tension comes during daytime activities. You also need to establish the coop as "home" for the new birds and sleeping in it from the start will accomplish this.

You might be able to pick up a few more useful tips by reading how I integrate new adult chickens, linked below. Also, should you wish to expand your flock with baby chicks, I have another article linked below that discusses the benefits of brooding alongside the adult flock.

Back
Top Bottom