I have to talk POLISH!

I never trim muffs even if they're seeming the be in the way, but honestly, crest trimming is something up the the owner. I don't think there's a "right" way to do it. My GL hens I got from a lady who trimmed the whole front half of the crest, mine I only trim the little section that comes down directly in front of the eye socket and a few frontal feathers that get in the way during the summer. When fall comes around I trim back further if the crest is bigger, but never go half-way. I must say, I'm lucky to have such well mannered Polish, because I've no help when I do it, it's just one hand of mine holding the Polish, the other doing the scissor work which is quite dangerously close to their eye, and, I've never had troubles or incidents.

I'll get pics today, some in detail if I can.

Im going to have some happy birds this summer. We live in central california and it can get 100+ in the summer. I wanted my birds to be happy so my husband is installing this air conditioner in the coup today:

I never trim muffs even if they're seeming the be in the way, but honestly, crest trimming is something up the the owner. I don't think there's a "right" way to do it. My GL hens I got from a lady who trimmed the whole front half of the crest, mine I only trim the little section that comes down directly in front of the eye socket and a few frontal feathers that get in the way during the summer. When fall comes around I trim back further if the crest is bigger, but never go half-way. I must say, I'm lucky to have such well mannered Polish, because I've no help when I do it, it's just one hand of mine holding the Polish, the other doing the scissor work which is quite dangerously close to their eye, and, I've never had troubles or incidents.

I'll get pics today, some in detail if I can.
Thanks! I would really appreciate that. I wouldn't have trimmed the muffs, but hers were growing up into and covering the front of her eyes. She was quite bushy in that area..lol. The hen was very good and I trimmed her on my own with her standing on top of her coop and me holding her head still while I trimmed with the other hand.

Thanks! I would really appreciate that. I wouldn't have trimmed the muffs, but hers were growing up into and covering the front of her eyes. She was quite bushy in that area..lol. The hen was very good and I trimmed her on my own with her standing on top of her coop and me holding her head still while I trimmed with the other hand.
Sometimes I found it necessary to trim the muffs on your beardeds, simply because all that headgear would grow faster than their head. I had a pullet one year that I trimmed her beard and crest down to stubs and even the amount and thickness of stubs was too much for her to see out. wasn't able to save that one :(. now I just do non beardeds

I would say so ! My little WCB is one of my best bantams and her eggs is a good size relative to her size. I do not have LF polish although I would like to but as far as what I have read they lay well for a fancy looking bird. My friend has a GL six year old who still lays a few eggs each week.

Would you say that Polish are good egg layers?

Between 4 hens (LF) I get 4 a day and once a week, I get three. They're awesome layers in my experience. Even the 3 year old hen that my friend gave me a couple of years ago laid 3 eggs a week.

I'm going to guess that bloodline makes a difference. My Polish are very friendly and are good layers, yet I heard of some flightly and not good layers so breeding (as in most animals) is a factor.

well, it did today!!! love you.... hope u r having a better day today
love.gif

Poor Hailie can't be away from the bathroom to long if you no what I mean lol.....I will be washing clothes a lot.

Back
Top Bottom