I just figured out that all 5 of my ducks are drakes!

jducour

Songster
Mar 14, 2015
Utah
I raised these little guys since they were 2 days old, they are 12 weeks old now. I purchased them at my local feed shop, and they were straight run. I thought I would have a 50/50 chance with gender, but.. nope! I kept listening to Youtube videos, trying to figure out their gender by their voices, but I couldn't tell because they all sounded the same. One of my reasons for having ducks is fresh eggs, so 5 boys just won't do :). I wanted to add some mature female ducks to my flock, I found some WH females locally, they are a year old, and are producing beautifully. I have had them for three days, and have 6 eggs already.

Now, how do you reduce your flock of males? They are very aggressive with the new females (expectedly), but now they are fighting with each other (unexpectedly). I will not get rid of my Fawn Runner, he is my favorite, and he seems to be head of the flock. Next favorite is my Khaki Campbell. I also have a Jumbo Pekin, Cayuga, and a Blue Swedish. Is it better to have two females and two males? I don't want to keep more than 5 ducks, so would it be better to find a home for 3 of my males? They are all sweet, but I am only attached to the Runner and the KC.

Please help me figure out what would be best, and maybe someone wants some adorable, friendly male ducks for their home flock? ;)

seems to me that your gut is telling you to keep the fawn and khaki...get rid of the other three and you will be happy with your decision. Welcome to BYC

Would it be better to add one more female? So it is two drakes and three ducks? Or is two pairs ok?

I raised these little guys since they were 2 days old, they are 12 weeks old now. I purchased them at my local feed shop, and they were straight run. I thought I would have a 50/50 chance with gender, but.. nope! I kept listening to Youtube videos, trying to figure out their gender by their voices, but I couldn't tell because they all sounded the same. One of my reasons for having ducks is fresh eggs, so 5 boys just won't do :). I wanted to add some mature female ducks to my flock, I found some WH females locally, they are a year old, and are producing beautifully. I have had them for three days, and have 6 eggs already.

Now, how do you reduce your flock of males? They are very aggressive with the new females (expectedly), but now they are fighting with each other (unexpectedly). I will not get rid of my Fawn Runner, he is my favorite, and he seems to be head of the flock. Next favorite is my Khaki Campbell. I also have a Jumbo Pekin, Cayuga, and a Blue Swedish. Is it better to have two females and two males? I don't want to keep more than 5 ducks, so would it be better to find a home for 3 of my males? They are all sweet, but I am only attached to the Runner and the KC.

Please help me figure out what would be best, and maybe someone wants some adorable, friendly male ducks for their home flock? ;)

2:2 is going to be a difficult gender ratio - if you are set on no more than 5 total, I would keep just one male.
As to the fighting being unexpected, you introduced competition for females into the equation - the fighting between males is quite expected - the previous flock had no such competition/fighting because there were no females to fight for/over.

A little drake heavy. Could cause some issues with the females but it depends on the drakes.

If you were nearby I'd take your Cayuga drake. I only ended up with 1 male to my 9 females and the one drake is a welsh harlequin not a cayuga. :)

I will have to see about getting more females maybe. I don't want more than 5 or 6, so maybe two more female? Our duck house is 6'x4', so I don't want to overcrowd it. Our pond and yard are large enough for 6, I am sure. I just want the right ratio so everyone is happy, and I'm getting eggs!

Back
Top Bottom