I KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH OUR CHICKS!!!!!

I'm driving from Madison, Wisconsin to Iowa to pick up my MM order this Saturday. Should I be worried ?

idunno.gif

Quote:
i would be. its their place that is causing this. i now have two more orders coming and its too late to stop them.. they are from different hatcheries and were supposed to go in w/ my mcmurray chicks. I dont have the space for more brooders and cant seperate them. my room is around 80 degrees (i get cold easily) so ill probably keep the ideal chicks in there. I HATE mcmurray. its their fault little lives are ending. little pullets that will never wake up to their protective roo crowing. little cockerals that will never have a harem to proudly watch over. sorry if i sound a little too poetic, but i am and im very upset about these babies dying for no good reason. its worse than slaughter, its purposeless death...

Interesting. It may make sense being I am only seeing certain breeds get sick and I assume eggs are set by breed. So if certain hatchers were contaminated only those chicks would be affected. The symptoms sure fit except I am seeing no breathing trouble/running noses, etc. at all. Just weak then die. It says that it is not spread bird to bird. The strange thing is they set 160,000 eggs/week. Why wouldn't more be affected? Maybe they got it from something other than the hatcher, like a shipping room or something...

Anywho...This really sucks. I hope these next ones are healthy. I am going to put these in our utility room until they are at least a few weeks old.

Me? Nope. Pine Shavings. Always pine shavings.

I found this...

Aspergillosis has been observed in almost all birds and animals, including man. The disease is observed in one of two forms; acute outbreaks with high morbidity and high mortality in young birds, and a chronic condition affecting adult birds. It is more of a problem in turkeys than in chickens.

The condition is caused by Aspergillus fumigatus, a mold or fungus-type organism. Occasionally other types of molds are involved. These organisms are present in the environment of all poultry. They grow readily on many substances such as litter, feed, rotten wood and other similar materials.

The bird comes in contact with the organisms through contaminated feed, litter or premises. The disease is not contagious and does not spread from one bird to another. Most healthy birds can withstand repeated exposure to these organisms. Inhalation of large amounts of the infectious form of the mold or reduced resistance of the bird apparently results in infection. In adult turkeys, the disease more often affects the male.

In the acute form in young birds, main symptoms are gasping, sleepiness, loss of appetite and sometimes convulsions and death. Occasionally the organism invades the brain, causing paralysis or other forms of nervous symptoms. The more chronic form in older birds usually results in loss of appetite, gasping or coughing and a rapid loss of body weight. Mortality is usually low and only a few birds are affected at one time.

The disease produces hard nodular areas in the lungs and an infection of the air sacs. Sometimes the air sac lesions are similar to those produced by infectious sinusitis or CRD. In some birds, colonies of mold growth can be seen on the air sac membranes.

Diagnosis is usually made from history, symptoms and lesions. It may be necessary to base diagnosis on microscopic lesions.

The disease can usually be prevented by avoiding moldy litter, feed or premises. There is no treatment for the affected flock. Cleaning and disinfecting the equipment is often helpful.

I wonder if it is going to go through our entire group.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
I might add that our chicks are kept in an extremely clean environment. They are in a new brooder area, new feed pans, new waterers. Pine shavings and feed just purchased 2 days before we got the chicks.

Last edited:
can we make a list of all the people on the site that have received mcmurry chicks, and if or not their chicks seem to be effected..
maybe if you all get together your dates delivered and chicks effected you may have a better fight,,than just one person complaining,,,

and for us that have orders pending,,,so we can make a better judgement on whether to cancel or not,,,,thanks

Back
Top Bottom