I live in freehold township New Jersey

How many chickens are allowed in unincorporated Cook County, Illinois? We have been cited for a violation of more than 3 pets per residence - can anyone help to save our chickens?

I just recently moved to Freehold Twp. Were you able to find anything about having chickens? I only want about 2 or 3. I used to have 10 when I lived in Neptune. Let me know thanks.

This is from the Freehold Twp website. I think I will still ask my neighbors.

The following restrictions shall apply to all areas located in a residential zone within Freehold Township pursuant to §§ 190-125 through 190-143 of Chapter 190, Land Use:
A.

Housing or storing of farm animals is prohibited unless a location in which the animals are being stored is a farm in accordance with this article.

B.

Large exotic animals, as determined by the Freehold Township Health Department, and potentially dangerous species are not permitted in residential zones.

We have NJ chickens too. Anyone else know much about New Jersey's chicken laws? I live in a tiny township that doesn't even have ordinances finished and posted or available. But I also have fabulous neighbors and a decent sized piece of property so no one cares.

[COLOR=333333]This is from the Freehold Twp website. I think I will still ask my neighbors.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]The following restrictions shall apply to all areas located in a residential zone within Freehold Township pursuant to §§ 190-125 through [COLOR=333333]190-143[/COLOR] of Chapter [COLOR=333333]190[/COLOR], Land Use:[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]
A.

Housing or storing of farm animals is prohibited unless a location in which the animals are being stored is a farm in accordance with this article.

B.

Large exotic animals, as determined by the Freehold Township Health Department, and potentially dangerous species are not permitted in residential zones.

[/COLOR]
What is considered a "farm" in Freehold? I'd try to be viewed as a farm I'd possible. Or keep the chickens as pets and not as "farm animals" Unless there is an extensive list of what is considered a "pet" (and there probably isn't any such list) then you can keep your pet chickens as pets and not livestock. You probably already treat your chickens like pets and not livestock anyway.

Last edited:
I live in Freehold township too. I have been informed by the township office that you may only have a farm animal aka chickens if you have 5 acres or more. If you want to join me in fighting city hall for our right to farm please email me :)

Back
Top Bottom