I made a tough decision yesterday :(

Nebraskagirl

Songster
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
I had to remove our Welsh Harlequin drake from our small flock of females. We have two five-week old Welsh Harlequin females we incubated (he is the father) and ever since he was able to see them he has been highly aggressive. We have always supervised them when out foraging, but he had gotten worse over the past few days. Two days ago he attacked one of the ducklings and before we could get to him, he had injured her leg quite badly. She is a bit better today, but still favoring the leg. I took him back to the farm where we got him. I released him and he didn't even look back at us! He saw a large pond with other ducks and took off running. He seemed to fit in; I watched him for a while. Our two babies are getting more and more trusting of their mother (they were separated from the get-go because we incubated them) and they are all three getting along nicely. Our female, Shirley, is a quiet girl and our ducklings, Thelma and Louise, are warming up to her nicely. I do miss our drake; he was stunning! Has anyone else had to do this?

I've had to get rid of aggressive drakes too. It is always the right thing to do. Now I have an awesome, gentle and friendly Khaki Campbell drake and I am so very glad that I made space in my flock so we could have him.

I've had to get rid of aggressive drakes too. It is always the right thing to do. Now I have an awesome, gentle and friendly Khaki Campbell drake and I am so very glad that I made space in my flock so we could have him.

My first drake I owned was a KC. I LOVED LOVED LOVED him. He too was gentle soul and NEVER acted aggressive. Sadly he was killed by a hawk this past winter. He was replaced by the drake we had to get rid of. I miss him dearly. You are lucky to have such a great drake. If I ever get another drake, it will be a KC.

I have not BUT you made the right choice! drakes are known baby killers, it's a fact not fiction, you must truly know your drakes when allowing young to be out with them.

The two i have are okay and have continued to be BUT i am always prepared to remove them if i need too.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I feel so relieved today. The WH mother and her two five week babies are getting along nicely. They are learning to trust being around here and don't shy away from her anymore. The one with the hurt leg is doing a bit better. She is still limping though. Hopefully she can it straightened out. She is eating and drinking and preening herself; otherwise normal in other words.

I gave a KC drake away this spring. We had 2 drakes and 3 females. It was the best thing I have done. The little flock did go looking for him for about 2 days. I felt bad about that, but now the girls have neck feathers. I hatched some eggs and am waiting to see what they turn out to be. I may have to give away another drake.

It always depends. My drake is great with day olds, juveniles and even his 6 month old sons. I have been lucky in that all of my male birds have not been aggressive with offspring.

I did send some extra drakes to freezer camp but they were extras from that hatch.

I do want another drake at some point, but the girls are all now getting along so nicely. It is very peaceful here and the WH female (the mother) stays a LOT closer to home. She and the drake would roam the woods (full of hawks, fox, badgers, etc.) and now she sticks close and free ranges close to the babies. It is almost like she hatched them out herself the way she acts.

Back
Top Bottom