I need help to identify my serama colors before tomorrow!

Do you have serama? Comment with their color!

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I want some but don’t have any yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Noellereagan

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jun 20, 2018
Big Bend, Wisconsin
Hello,

Anyone who has interacted with me on here knows that my heart has always been with turkeys. And while it still is, over the winter I took on a good sized exotic chicken hatching project. A successful one too. Of them, (Ayam Cemani, serama, ginger spangled shamo, silkie, blue isbar, to name a few) I really took a like to the shamo but they need their own runs so I’m weary about expanding that flock of four. But what I really love is serama. I hatched five American serama. Four hens and one rooster. And while hatching these mini birds comes with its own set of extreme. Challenges from my prospective, (and what’s more- the brooding challenges pose new problems too) if you can manage to hatch and brood them you have some super cool little creatures on your hands.
I like them to such a degree that I didn’t want to wait to get more. I did my due diligence and researched people I’d like to buy some adult breeding stock from. (And can I say- I couldn’t be happier with the six adults I’ve ended up with). But the problem lies with the color. If you know serama, you know their colors can be perplexing to say the least. And there’s an endless list of colors that most have a different name for than the next guy.
I’m going to take a few of the adults I’ve purchased to a show (they’ve been shown and are doing wonderfully in our practice sessions) So it makes sense I’d like to know the technical name of their colors and hoping someone can help. And while one of the wonderful breeders I got five of the adults from is the consummate authority of all that is serama in my book, she is admittedly not well versed on Colors. And I see why! It’s so confusing and contradictory!
So rather than bug her about it I thought I would throw it out there to this community to see what I get back. I’ve marked the photos with a, b & c for identification purposes.
Any help is appreciated.
Also, if you’d like the name of the two amazing breeders of show quail it’s serama, text me at 262-888-0446 or email at [email protected] for their names and contact info! (I am bad at checking messages on byc)

Attachments

• 5A1C6F06-F2FC-4689-B974-0D00C6546110.jpeg
    5A1C6F06-F2FC-4689-B974-0D00C6546110.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 334DE8DD-6DC6-4924-82E8-2C0AB7B1FB70.jpeg
    334DE8DD-6DC6-4924-82E8-2C0AB7B1FB70.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 35
  • CCD99910-9546-4B2E-8248-68B02AEE4BF6.jpeg
    CCD99910-9546-4B2E-8248-68B02AEE4BF6.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 33
C9FB3183-8976-4814-A5B5-160E9064C82E.jpeg
Those are Wheaton Seramas :)
I have two female black mottled Seramas and am also in WI :woot
Really?!? Where in Wisconsin?! I’m in Waukesha county.
I also have a black and white mottled hen. She was just hatched 3/4/19.
All three are Wheaton? And that would make my frizzle Wheaton as well right ? He’s pictured above

View attachment 1780662
Really?!? Where in Wisconsin?! I’m in Waukesha county.
I also have a black and white mottled hen. She was just hatched 3/4/19.
All three are Wheaton? And that would make my frizzle Wheaton as well right ? He’s pictured above
Oconomowoc, WI :)
Yes, he appears to be a wheaton.

What about these girls? The buff/ blonde/ yellow one has some black feathers in her tail. I’m not quite sure what color she is technically.

I believe the other is called cocopop? View attachment 1780663View attachment 1780664
The first one is what looks like a black tailed buff, but not as complete as she could be. The second looks like a cocopop.

Oconomowoc, WI :)
Yes, he appears to be a wheaton.

The first one is what looks like a black tailed buff, but not as complete as she could be. The second looks like a cocopop.
Wow. I’m in big bend. I have three good quality cockerels here. One I’m not sure yet because he’s too young. Three are smooth. One of those is porcelain the other Wheaton I guess :) the other is the frizzle I posted. Let me know if you ever want to breed your hens.

Back
Top Bottom