I NEED HELP WITH MY CHICKEN COOP!

For that few chickens, unless you are planning to add more eventually, I would go with a chicken tractor design. Look at this link for some ideas. They are quite easy to build, if you are somewhat handy. Or I know a guy who does a great job building them who lives in Raleigh... if you're willing to drive. He could probably build what you want for around $200 - 300. With that savings, it'd be worth the drive.

Email me if you want his info... I'm very pleased with the one I just got from him, although I wish I would have had him build it a bit larger now. If you're interested, I can show your pics of mine, or you can see it in the 'Coop Design and Construction' forum here, in the thread titled, 'Heat and light source for small coop?'

http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/tractors.html

$2000 does sound steep for a henhouse.but you say your family had some repair work done on the house.so im thinking $2000 is the henhouse an all the repair work.id hate to say how much ive spent on henhouse an brooders.i bet over the hast 5yrs ive spent close to $3000 on everything.2 henhouses 1 12 by 12 an 1 20 by 36 3 4ftl by 6ftw brooders.an 1 small dog kennal.

I built one that was originally 8x8 for about $400, using new and scavenged materials. Then a few months ago, we added on 12' to it to make it 8x20. That addition cost me about the same as the first one. So, I have an 8x20 building for about $800. And it's nice, too. Construction sites for new homes sometimes have dumpsters they'll let you look through for materials. I'd buy an old shed from someone and fix it up before I spent that much $$$ on a coop!

Last edited:
My goodness, $2000!! Don't be taken by that! We started out with a large dog pen, covered the top with wire and then a very heavy tarp. Now it has been in the teens here in Missouri but I covered three sides with plastic sheeting to keep the wind off the chickens. Put a large dog house in it...all this was purchased at Wal-Mart.We then put some chicken wire around the bottom perimeter of the pen so nothing could dig in. Then I found an old narrow bookcase in another building that was being used to store potting materials, my husband laid it on it's side and put a back on the shelves and a lip in from so the eggs wouldn't fall out. The hens roost on top but lay their eggs in the nesting boxes. It worked out great for a newbie like myself. I have four hens, one roo and two guineas in there. This all would cost you under $200 total. Go to yard sales or wherever to find some old deep bookshelves and DIY and be proud!
yippiechickie.gif

You didn't tell the builder about your chickens that lay the golden eggs, did you?

For $2,000.00 you, your family and a couple of nice friends could build a coop big enough for your chicken addiction that will soon follow the original 4 or 5 chickens.

I have a Henspa--it's a online coop. It can hold 10 standard breeds or 15 bantams. You move it everyday so there is no mess or manure pile up. I put it together in two hours.

Can be pricey with shipping tho.

Check out the website www.henspa.com

My chickens are in a lean -to type up with chain link sides and a good roof. they have a chainlink pen and a larger yard of livestock type panels of 3x3 squares. I never have had predators get through the heavy steel wire. Probably the biggest expense is haging a light bulb in the winter to keep the chill off and provide enough light to lay all winter. It ca get down to 20 below some Winter nights. Good luck! ( you'll never be satisfied with just 6 though) I have 50.

can you say "Rip OFF"...
hmm.png
our coop is turning out nice.. doesn't need to be fancy.. so far we are only $60.00 into it.. and it's almost finished... i would defenitly ask around.. just my advice.. Good-luck!

My son has just helped me construct a 6' x 10' coop that is 7' high on front side and 6'6'' on back side. Used new materials costing around $90.oo (2x4's and plywood) and recycled roof, window and door and hadite blocks for foundation. (we live in flood zone and had to plan for rainy days) Anyway, neither of us are builders, but it is possible to do a decent hen house for not much money with minimal skills. Covered run will also be constructed shortly. Then we'll have a total cost on the project.

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to have an unused homemade playhouse in my backyard when I bought my place. It was my doghouse for awhile, then the chickens took over.
smile.png
Just hung a couple milk crates for nestboxes and secured the door. It's great cuz I can walk inside it (stooped over, but still). Even to build one, I cant imagine it'd be over a couple hundred, even with today's steep wood prices.

I thought about building a smaller doghouse-style one, where the roof is on a hinge (for easier cleaning and egg retrieval), but the playhouse worked out better anyway.

Back
Top Bottom