I need Indian runner hatching eggs

Senna95

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 6, 2010
Woodland
I have Indian Runners, but I'm still looking for the following colors (some may not be available in the states, I'm not sure). I'd prefer hatching eggs......

Silver (from the wild color... not the blue)
Saxony
Pastel (again, not the blues)

I'd also love to get some of the Harlequin or Silver Appleyard (runner) ducks I've seen pictures of. Does anyone know if they're available in the states? Seems like most of the information I've been able to find has been from the UK or Australia.

Yup, Hi Dana, it's me, the one who e-mailed you.

I'm in love with any of the mallard pattern runner ducks, and am very interested in adding to my "collection". As I said, the names are confusing when most of my information comes from the internet and books:

"Pastel" is "apricot" in Europe.
"Saxony" is "Apricot-trout" in the UK (check out the pretty pictures here: http://www.steepleducks.co.uk/
"Blue
trout" seems to have no official name here in the states (or I can't find it)
I'd love to find a silver like on this website: http://www.runnerduck.net/photo_album.htm

I
guess what I should do is just ask for the genotype, so here goes:

I'm looking for mallard pattern runner ducks with either one or two blue dilution genes, in light and dark phases, as well as (if possible) the light-phase harlequin gene. I know that if I have grey, trout, and saxony I should be able to (over time) "make" most of these.

I studied biology (pre-vet) in college, and had to go through quite a bit of genetics classes. Just thought I'd put some of it to use with my duck hobbie.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what you have available later this season. Good luck, and have fun.

Lisette

If you are looking for the mallard (gray) color I have eggs available. The birds are from Holderread's show stock so they stand very upright.

Donna

Thanks, but I've got the grays.... and trout too.

PS Dana:
When you were talking about "blues", I wrongly assumed you were talking about the cumberland blues, with te EE black gene. Like I said, I'd like to stick to the traditional "mallard" patern. I don't see any reason to get rid of the neat-looking neck ring.

I was also thinking about the harlequin gene: I don't see how they could have gotten that gene into runner ducks without at some point breeding to another type of duck that already had that gene. What are the odds of the same mutation occuring twice??? Not very high. Mutations are common, but the exact same one happening more then once would be unusual to say the least. Of course I'm not a genetecist, so I woudn't mind hearing an expert opinion.

You should be able to breed a gray runner to another duck carrying the harqequin gene (say, a snowy mallard: Perfect wild patern with the only difference being the harlequin gene). The first generation wouldn't show any signs, but they'd all carry the recessive gene. The next generation would show 25% harlequin pattern. These would breed true. Of course than you'd have to figure out how to get the runner conformation back....... Breeding back to good conformation gray runners, and doing this for many generations (how many would that take? I don't know...) Would be fun to try.

Anyway, just a few of my thoughts. Can't wait till next year and see what comes out.

Quote:
Been searching many sites myself and only know of one from Australia that has pics of Harlequin or Silver Appleyard Runners.

Do you have any links or even information you can PM me about these colours. I have some Harlequins myself and am needing some info on how to improve on the ones I have - Seeing pics would go along way to helping as Ihave only seen so few myself apart from my own.

I'm assuming you have Welsh Harlequins? Very pretty, but I don't know a lot about them. You should be able to find quite a few pics on-line though.

Yeah, I've seen the web-site in Australia about the harlequin runners. That's what got me to thinking about trying to get some. I've checked on-line about importing hatching eggs. It's possible, but the person on the other side (the breeder) would have to agree to an inspection of their farm and their birds by a government veterenarian (like our USDA inspectors), and send the eggs with a clean bill of health. Then you'd have to hope that the eggs make it alive and in one piece. That's hard enough with the post office here in the states, let alone trans-atlantic. A certain percentage (from some countries) of your eggs would be quaranteed by our Ag department...............

It all sounds like a pain in the butt! But possibly worth it to get some harlequin runners here.

Has anyone ever gone through the process of importing birds/chicks/eggs, and would like to share their experience?

You're right of course: since the genes are here already I should just use them. It would just take more time. But then, that would be part of the fun, not to mention the sence of satisfaction one would get from it.

I'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom