I need your opinon

Skipper Carnes

Chirping
Feb 16, 2023
I have a broody hen and would like to put a mix of duck eggs and chicken eggs under her. Will she hatch the chicken eggs and duck eggs even though duck eggs hatch
6 days later. Chicks hatch at the speed of lighting, but ducks take forever. Would a hen be patient enough to sit an extra 6 days waiting for a duck egg?
Speeding Lightning Mcqueen GIF by Disney+

I have seen videos of chickens that hatched ducks out before, and it is not uncommon. Any chance she could do both. The eggs are already under her and have been under her 2 days.

I have a broody hen and would like to put a mix of duck eggs and chicken eggs under her. Will she hatch the chicken eggs and duck eggs even though duck eggs hatch
6 days later. Chicks hatch at the speed of lighting, but ducks take forever. Would a hen be patient enough to sit an extra 6 days waiting for a duck egg?
Speeding Lightning Mcqueen GIF by Disney+
Maybe put the duck eggs under her then 6 days later put the chicken eggs under her. I have no idea if this would work but it's just a thought .

I would love to try that idea, but the bad thing is the eggs are already viable and have been under her for 2 days. I am just hoping and praying she doesn't abandon the baby ducks.

I would love to try that idea, but the bad thing is the eggs are already viable and have been under her for 2 days. I am just hoping and praying she doesn't abandon the baby ducks.

praying she doesn't abandon the baby ducks.

She absolutely will get off them.
If the eggs are staggered so everything hatches within 24-48 hours then it can work.
But, hens don't wait longer than 2 days for remaining eggs to hatch, because her instincts tell her it's time to feed her hatchlings. So, she lets her chicks out from under her and that ends her time camped on the nest for long enough to hatch anything.
It's the same thing with younger chicken eggs.
You'll need to come up with a different plan.

I have seen videos of chickens that hatched ducks out before, and it is not uncommon. Any chance she could do both. The eggs are already under her and have been under her 2 days.
Never said it was uncommon. Our first ever broody chicken hatched ducks out.

But she ain't going to sit an extra seven days at least for eggs to hatch when she has babies that need food long before then

Back
Top Bottom