I plan on getting a new quail should I tame the new quail first? or socialize her with my other quail so they get along first before taming

Should I tame or socialize first?

• Total voters

Phanata

Songster
Jul 3, 2020
The other Quail is a tame female coturnix quail named Oak, last year her only friend another female quail died, we planned on getting her another quail but decided not to, recently I haven't been able to give her all of my attention and I know Oak gets lonely and she is a social bird, so we plan on getting her a companion

hiya @PhantomSkye - I think if you want to tame the bird it needs to be done one on one with you.... but that's just mho since I'm new to quail myself.

I have a solitary 6 week button quail who is super tame because I spend hours with him daily since he was hatched and he thinks I'm his mama, although he still can be flighty. I think it would be difficult to tame an already grown quail if you didn't raise it from a chick.

This weekend I'm getting a non-tame female button for my boy to bond and mate with so he won't be lonely. He calls and cries for me whenever I put him back into his little house.

Quarantine any new birds for four weeks 100 feet away from your current bird. In this case put them in veiw of each other, if possible, would be best. During this period of time monitor the new bird for disease. If all is okay, you can then introduce them to each other after four weeks is up. While the new bird is quarantining you can then tame her, but do what you have to do with the current bird first before trying to tame the new bird each day. This will help prevent the spread of disease.

Back
Top Bottom