I Rescued a Chicken off the Road

Donutley

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2018
So about 5 weeks ago I found a chicken in the road that had escaped a chicken truck, judging by her state. I jumped out to get her and drove home, only to find that her wing was broken with part of the bone sticking out. After 4 vet visits and a lot of time with her living in my room, she's finally on the road to recovery and about to move outside. (Her name is Kiri!) I have a flock of 8 chickens right now so I'm no stranger to caring for them, but she's a Broiler and has no idea how to walk more than a few feet at the time, doesn't know how to perch, and I'm not sure how to cut down on her eating constantly. She's going to be living in a kennel separate from the rest of the chickens for the time being, but I need advice. How do I keep her as happy and healthy as possible??? And how can I help her learn how to walk normally?? Will she be okay when the winter comes around? Any advice would be appreciated, I just want her to be comfortable and in good health. Thank you!

Welcome to BYC, and it's a wonderful thing you are doing for her. Understand that she was bred to be an eating/growing machine whose lifespan is genetically programmed to be short. Unless put on a stringently restricted diet her legs and heart will soon give out. Some have kept them alive for a year or slightly more, but that is not the normal occurrence. :(

Since she is a Cornish X, it really would be better to put her out of her misery. Her legs will eventually break I get the stress, .or her heart will give out .tjye arethey arbre to be butchered at 8 weeks.

I vote give her a chance, i had one cornish that came in a hatchery choice batch of 25. She lived 3 years, and laid me 1 or 2 eggs a week.
Her name was myrtle as she moved as slow as a turtle. Her legs did not break. I did have to set her up with a egg laying box on the floor and a sleeping spot as she could not roost. She had a very sweet and friendly disposition.

I agree with Crazy for Chickens, you are fighting genetics, and you are getting into the fight late. I just raised these for the table, and while mine were active, the older they got, the less active they were. At week 2, I pulled them from the layers, the size and eating just cause too much stress.

There is not magic to fix this.

Mrs K

I really appreciate everyone's input. I understand it's genetics and that I can't really change that, but even if i thought it was the best route I just wouldn't have the heart to put her down. I'm going to do the best I can to make sure her remaining days are as happy as they can be and give her as much love as possible

Good luck! She’s already lived 5 weeks longer than she would have. I agree to allow her to forage and exercise a bit by giving her room to walk around. Like the other poster, she may need a low place to sleep and lay.

We are on week 6 of raising first batch of meat chickens (only 12 of them), and they are certainly different than our egg laying flock of 14.

Even if she only lives a few months or a year or longer, it will be an interesting experience.

Back
Top Bottom