I think a chicken adopted me!

jducour

Songster
Mar 14, 2015
Utah
I was unloading groceries this morning, and a chicken walked up to me and let pick her up. I have ducks, so I already had layer feed and a spare waterer. She is on a cage right now with food and water, what more can I do for her? I am trying to find her family, but none of my neighbors are missing a chicken. I know it is a hen because she laid an egg shortly after arriving. Any advice?

Consider yourself lucky! A chicken adopted me and she was awesome. We got her some friends. Unfortunately she only lived about 6 months after adopting us, but she was such a fun girl and so friendly we really enjoyed having her around. If no one knows where she came from, you may have yourself a new friend.

I would just keep her. I have all of my chickens and ducks in together and they get a long fine. Enjoy her company...they're a blast when they're friendly and still fun to watch when they don't want to be friendly!

I found her home! She belongs to one of my neighbors, they still haven't built an adequate coop for their chickens. They have had them for 6 months, and they are still in a dog house with a small outside run. It is 2'x4', and there are 4 chickens in there. They got them for her daughter, who is now in school, and they don't look after them very well. I am hoping to drop some hints, and perhaps adopt all of them. I think they've lost interest in owning them, and I have enough room for everyone at my house :)

Poor things. I hope they are willing to give them up, sounds like they would love living with you!

What kind of hen was it that walked up to you yesterday?

Back
Top Bottom