i think i caused the problem or some of it.

tav1

Songster
9 Years
Nov 4, 2014
ct.
like I said in my other thread .....my hens stopped laying.

problem 1.....eggs weren't gathered with we went on vac. more then 10 eggs just sat there.

problem 2....yea I got lazy and didn't put out oyster shell and grit for some time.

I was reading about this topic and these two where mentioned.
and something about going broody and nesting on a lot of eggs will do this also.

your input please and a way to make them lay again.

I started putting the shell out again today.

None of that in itself should stop laying. But stress certainly will, and I am guessing they were feeling stressed by the change in routine, and perhaps also physically stressed from being low on food or water. Really, the only cure is time, and a calm environment that helps them feel safe.

Nothing has changed in being safe. They had food but water might of been a factor. You know when we're away from our Shepard for some time she and doesn't see us she pisses and poops in the house. Maybe they didn't see me for a week and a half and got stressed .

Those won't cause a stop in laying, a lot of chickens over a year will stop laying to molt, and recover, laying is very taxing, and not all hens lay the same amount, the older they get the less they lay. How old are your birds, what breeds they are can affect it too. And sometimes a chicken will stop laying and never lay again. You didn't say if anyone has been broody, there are so many factors.

There about 2+ yrs. RR's or red comet.
Not sure what broody means but laying on 10 .....could that be it?

broody means they are sitting tight in a nest, eggs or no eggs, it's a hormonal state, they refuse to leave the nest, growl, and peck you. Yours are probably going into a molt, you may have noticed more feathers on the ground.

definitely not growling or pecking at me.......so maybe it is molting . i'll check for feathers. out of 3 hens i'm getting 1 eggs a day.

ok.....so I went out to there run and feather's all over the place ,so I guess there in molt.

what's the time period for this and how long are they in it? and I take it there is very little
egg laying in this period ?

Last edited:
They usually stop laying completely, how long it takes depends on your chickens and how worn out they are, keeping protein levels up can help, maybe switching to a higher protein food might hurry it up. Most of mine will not start laying until early next year, but mine are free range and I don't push them or light them, others will hopefully help you with any pushing.

Back
Top Bottom