I think I'm out of control lol

cow bay rooster

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
Cowichan Bay Vancouver Island BC
So 4 weeks ago I decided I wanted 2 or 3 hens to supply me with a couple eggs per day. Well wasn't there an add for 10 hens for $25. How could I resist that price right? So I get them home that night settle them into the coop and the next day I count 9 hens lol he short changed me a hen but I was more then happy to get 9 for $25. He offered to give me another but I was worried how I was going to be able to consume all the eggs. The very first morning they gave me 8 eggs. These hens are 21 months old and half ISA Browns and ISA Bovan (brown).

So I'm panicking trying to figure how I'm going to handle that many eggs per day so I ask around work to see if anyone is interested and now there is a waiting list for eggs : ) The first two weeks they laid 51 eggs for me both weeks, then the second weekend I picked up Rhode Island Red rooster for $1 from a Shelter and low and behold the egg count went up to 59 eggs week 3 and 61 eggs week 4! I'm smart enough to know roosters don't lay eggs but have no clue where the extra 8-10 eggs came from lol.

The reason I got the rooster was to be able to replenish my flock before these hens stop laying. The rooster has been quite busy with the hens and I plan on incubating the eggs (2 dzn) from the next 3 day and starting incubating on Friday. How is that for my first month with chickens? lol

Looks like this is going to be fun, I'm hoping for a decent hatch and will be interesting to see what colors the chicks come out.

Marc.

Welcome to BYC, Marc. Glad you decided join our flock. Very few BYC members are immune to "chicken math." :eek:) It's interesting that he sold you Isa Browns and Bovans Browns, which are essentially the same hybrid. Isa Brown and Bovans Brown are two of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Not only can the offspring be sexed by color from hatching, but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Other labels under which hatcheries market Red Sex Links include Brown Sex Link, Brown Shaver, Red Shaver, Babock Brown, Lohmans Brown, Red Star, Gold Star, Gold Sex Link, Golden Buff, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Comet, Hyline Brown, Gold Lines, Bovans Goldline, etc. You should get loads of eggs from those girls. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Red Sex Links.

The reason I got the rooster was to be able to replenish my flock before these hens stop laying. The rooster has been quite busy with the hens and I plan on incubating the eggs (2 dzn) from the next 3 day and starting incubating on Friday. How is that for my first month with chickens? lol

Looks like this is going to be fun, I'm hoping for a decent hatch and will be interesting to see what colors the chicks come out.

Marc.
P.S. You should be aware that since they are hybrids, Red Sex Links don't breed true. The offspring will not be sex linked, just barnyard mutts, and while they will probably be good layers, they likely won't be the egg laying machines that their mothers are.

Wow - those hens were the bargain of the Year. They sound like they are healthy too (knock on wood) . With all the eggs to sell they are even earning their own keep. How great is that ?
thumbsup.gif

P.S. You should be aware that since they are hybrids, Red Sex Links don't breed true. The offspring will not be sex linked, just barnyard mutts, and while they will probably be good layers, they likely won't be the egg laying machines that their mothers are.

One of the main reasons for doing the egg incubating is my girlfriends 2 1/2 year old. I think he'll be facinated to see them popping out of the egg shells :) I realize they won't be pure bred chickens as long as they lay decent I'll be happy. They do sell purebreed eggs locally and it my be something I may look into in the future. I also have a friend who offered me fertilized duck and turkey eggs but I'm holding off for now lol.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!!!

One of the main reasons for doing the egg incubating is my girlfriends 2 1/2 year old. I think he'll be facinated to see them popping out of the egg shells :) I realize they won't be pure bred chickens as long as they lay decent I'll be happy. They do sell purebreed eggs locally and it my be something I may look into in the future. I also have a friend who offered me fertilized duck and turkey eggs but I'm holding off for now lol.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!!!

You're welcome, and good luck with your hatch. :eek:)

So I did mention I was out of control right? I couldn't keep up with the demand for eggs at work from my coworkers so I checked the local ads and found some one year old hens for $7 a peace so now I have another 7 Star link hens.
wee.gif

So my flock has gone from 9 hen and a rooster to 16 hens and a rooster. The rooster was going bonkers today and squawking a lot not sure what that was all about. There was a few hen fights but I think rank has been settled. I was amazed I had 15 eggs today I figured with the move and the fighting things wouldn't have turned out so well. Spent most of today expanding their coop giving them another 32 square feet of space, things were so crammed last night that I had hens sleeping in the nest boxes. That will all change by tomorrow afternoon once the addition has been completed.

Still have 16 eggs in the incubator, I was going to load it up but figured I'd start small my first hatch in case things go south, plus I wouldn't have much room for many more lol.

Loving the hobby but it may be reaching its limit with the girlfriend.
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom