I think my rooster broke his leg!!!

Mar 29, 2022
Hi guys- I need some help concerning Bard, the rooster who saved my hens from hawks, several times, you can read about him here.
Bard has been struggling recently, he can't support his weight anymore. He's limping terribly, and can't run or fly anymore. When I let them out for their daily 1 hour free-range yesterday, Bard just lay (not laid 🤣) in the grass and couldn't catch up with the hens. I believe he may have broken his left leg. I may call the vet but he's already costed me quite a bit in vet bills (infected cut from a hawk fight) and I don't think that's an option currently. He's not overweight and I don't feed free-choice- I give the 13 of them around 7 cups of feed + scraps and usually, there is some leftover. Bard always lets the hens eat first and doesn't eat like crazy. I won't cull- I'm vegetarian and I could never. Any advice would be appreciated! I love this rooster so much. He's around 1 year and a Cuckoo Marans.
Note: the photo's from a while back.
Screenshot 2022-12-30 9.30.11 AM.png

It looks normal, but his limping it and constantly laying down. I can take a video of him walking if you'd like
Can he stand on that leg? If so, then it is not broken. Could he have sprained it or have a flesh wound in it from the hawk?

Can he stand on that leg? If so, then it is not broken. Could he have sprained it or have a flesh wound in it from the hawk?
No, he can't really stand on it and when he does I think he's in pain, he will try to step and then immediately lifts it back up. He couldn't get up or downstairs so I'm having to help him. I also have to help him out of the coop. This is the best photo I could get right now, I'll try to get a video tomorrow. I'm not sure if it's from a hawk anymore cause there was no blood. However, I have caught him many times kicking at a hawk through the wire so maybe he injured it that way?
Screenshot 2022-12-30 5.20.07 PM.png

No, he can't really stand on it and when he does I think he's in pain, he will try to step and then immediately lifts it back up. He couldn't get up or downstairs so I'm having to help him. I also have to help him out of the coop. This is the best photo I could get right now, I'll try to get a video tomorrow. I'm not sure if it's from a hawk anymore cause there was no blood. However, I have caught him many times kicking at a hawk through the wire so maybe he injured it that way?View attachment 3362428
I hope he'll be ok- at least he can still eat and drink.

Pick him up and fully inspect the leg. I've had to set legs and splint up and it's not fun. It takes two people. Ensure it's not dislocated. If it's just bruised or sprained you should consider caging him. Get him out of the flock and confined to a cage. He will rest then and give it a chance to heal. In the flock dynamic birds don't show weakness and when the others see it will bully them. If you take it out of the flock it doesn't attempt to put on a tough face and can relax to recoup.

Now that it's dark it's a good time to go get to inspect and apply aid if needed. At least get him in a cage when it's easy to capture capture him at night.

Back
Top Bottom