I think one of my little ones has Coccidiosis

DeannaOR

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Colton, Oregon
After reading so much on the forum I'm pretty sure that my little GLW has Coccidiosis. When I got home from work last night my bf told me that she was fluffed up and sitting in the corner, when he picked her up she seemed very light. He thought the others were keeping her from eating so he brought her in and put her in with out 5 week old Dark Brahma pullets. She ate and ate with gusto...drank a lot and then settled down to sleep. I gave her some boiled egg and put probiotics in her water. This morning when I checked on her there were bloody stools and she still looks frumpy. I went to the feed store and bought Corid.
My question is, should I put everyone on it? The pullets in the coop that she was with and the two pullets in the house that she is now with...even though none of them show any symptoms?

Side note...I really do appreciate this site, all the people who post links, and answer questions...just awesome to have a place to come. I'm sure some of you answer the same dang questions a zillion times. You ARE appreciated!

After reading so much on the forum I'm pretty sure that my little GLW has Coccidiosis. When I got home from work last night my bf told me that she was fluffed up and sitting in the corner, when he picked her up she seemed very light. He thought the others were keeping her from eating so he brought her in and put her in with out 5 week old Dark Brahma pullets. She ate and ate with gusto...drank a lot and then settled down to sleep. I gave her some boiled egg and put probiotics in her water. This morning when I checked on her there were bloody stools and she still looks frumpy. I went to the feed store and bought Corid.
My question is, should I put everyone on it? The pullets in the coop that she was with and the two pullets in the house that she is now with...even though none of them show any symptoms?

Side note...I really do appreciate this site, all the people who post links, and answer questions...just awesome to have a place to come. I'm sure some of you answer the same dang questions a zillion times. You ARE appreciated!
Treat ALL your birds with the corid.

Thank you for the responses.

She seems fine this morning and so do all the others, still no more bloody poop. I have the Corid mixed up..but I am hesitant. I'm not a big believer in medicating "just to be safe". I don't want to treat them all with chemicals if there is nothing wrong with them. I also don't want to lose them. I guess I'll do more reading this morning and go from there. Is there anything else that could have caused her to have bloody poop? She is about 7 weeks old. My boyfriend brought her in because he thought the others were not allowing her to eat. The first thing she did was eat like a mad woman...could eating so much at a time have caused the bloody poos?

Ok..so bf and I chatted, we decided to go ahead and treat all. The bottle I have is labeled more for cattle. Is this also safe for my turkeys? I am expecting poults any day now and worry about it being too strong for them. The dosing I'm finding on this site says 2 tsps to a gallon for chickens....same for turkeys?

Back
Top Bottom