IA here

Yeah we are famous for the mabe's pizza.. I getit all the time, so i dont think its all that great, but all of the visitors that come do.

We are in Sheldahl Ia. Tiny town in central Iowa. I grew up in New Hampton, and am familiar with all of those NE Iowa towns. I used to attend Luther College, and when I was 17-18 would go to Charles City for under-aged drinking
smile.png
that was a LONG time ago.

We (wife and I) live with 2 dogs 3 cats and have 8 standard chickens
2 red stars, 2 light brahmas, 2 silver laced wayndottes, a black star and a buff cochin rooster (freebie from Murrary McMurray-see below).
Fance.jpg

No eggs yet, but the chickens are just barely 20 weeks and I haven't been giving much in the way of supplemental light.

Wouldn't it be neat if we had warm weather all of the time like our southern peers who don't have to worry about winterizing coops, instead of fighting the oppressive heat in the summer and the bitter cold in the winter? Oh, wait, that's part of what makes me love Iowa! The girls survived the heat, and the breeds were picked for their winter hardiness - so far they seem to love this cold fall/winter-ish weather.
Anyway - IOWA!

Welcome!! Glad to find another Iowan in the mix. Once you start you dont go back!!! I grew up in Charles City and it was fun drinking while underage.. It always seemed that once you truned 21 it just wasnt the same..lol I always went to Orchard to the tiny little bar there too. If you decide you want to go into anything more let me know. This spring I will have duck, turkey, goose, and guinea eggs.. I will also be hatching some of my own eggs, mostly for fertility checks but will be selling some chicks too. Also you must check out the Waverly spring sale next year. I will be posting closer to the sale the exact date and time but I think it will be like the last Sunday of April. Welcome again. Jenn

Hey Green,
My sister lives in Solon. I am 30 minutes north of Cedar Rapids. What kind of hens do you have? If you ever want any more or something new let me know. I have a little bit of everything..lol Turkeys, guineas, ducks and geese along with standard chickens and a bunch of odd balls. I am hatching Naked necks and silkies right now along with frizzles too. I have to wait to see who are roos and who are hens this spring and then I am going to put different small pens together with small groups. I just set 3 dozen eggs this morning that are NN, silkies, and frizzles. I cant wait. Jenn

Hi Jenn,

I live between Cedar Rapids and Fairfax. I was wondering what kind of turkeys do you have? Right now I have 2 bourbon red toms and I wanting a hen. I also have 1 rooster, 7 hens that are buff orpingtons. They will be 7 months old at the end of the month. I'm just now getting 7 eggs a day.

Mary

Glad to see more Iowegians on the board. Anyone on here going to the poultry show in Iowa City this coming weekend after thanksgiving?

Hey Mary,
I curently have a full bourban red Tom, a bourban Royal palm cross tom, a blue slate tom and a royal palm tom. For hens I have a bourban red, a nargassett, and a blue slate. I also have some young turkeys that I am not sure if they are toms or hens yet. I am not sure if I am going to separate the blues and bourbans yet or not. My blue hen might be a cross of blue and bourban, I am not sure yet. I know a young man by Waverly that will be hatching poults this spring that I might get a few more. I also plan on looking for some more hens at the Waverly swap in the spring. I will post when that is when I get the flyer. It is the best!!!!! I would like to get about 5 or 6 more hens that are bourbans, blues, or royal palms. If you are interested in eggs let me know and we can figure something out when my hens start laying this spring. This year I am going to pull all eggs and set them myself or sell them. Last year 2 of my hens went broody and sat on the same nest. They hatched 2 poults and I hatched out 2 more after they left the nest. They did pretty good but after they lost 2 I took the other 2 babies and put them in with a bunch of chicks that I was brooding. If anything I will let my chickens set on some of the eggs too. Let me know and if anything I can help you find some hens in the spring. Jenn

There is a post in the shows and swaps section that has a little info on it. Not sure if I will make it I am waiting on a litter of puppies as I type:D

Back
Top Bottom