IB split White X Pied = ???

QueenMisha

Queen of the Coop
9 Years
Jan 14, 2015
Placerville, California, USA
Hi guys, I have a genetics question. I've been casually studying peafowl genetics for a while now but I still haven't had the epiphany of understanding I had a while back with chicken genetics. I'm curious what exactly I might get from a pairing.

A few years back I got a pair of peas. My first. A White hen and a Pied cock. They produced five offspring, 2 white, 1 loud pied, 2 normal(?) pied. We lost the original cock to a coyote and purchased a 95% Spalding cock. We incubated many eggs but produced only one chick, a young cock. He was the offspring of the Spalding cock over the original White hen. My understanding is that he is a 50%(ish) Spalding IB split White. (Or do you call it something besides IB in Spaldings?)

He is being given as a gift to a friend of ours who has wanted peafowl for a long time. Because we were unable to produce any other chicks this season she'll also recieve one of our female peas, from our original birds and hatch. She has a choice between his mother, the original White hen, and one of the yearling pied hens. It's my understanding that the Spalding IB split White X White will yield 50% White and 50% IB split white, all 25% Spaldings. But what would IB split White X pied produce?

It will almost be impossible to tell the percentage of the spaldings, only the breeders eyes will be the judge at this, its better to just call them low percentage spaldings or high percentages, this is just my opinion since we can't really tell the exact %.

IB split white x pied= 25% white, 25% pied, 25% split white and 25% split pied.

A spalding is a spalding regardless of how much or little green blood is in it so any offspring out of the high percentage cock bird you have will be spalding. If there are other color mutations buried in the genes you might get a spalding of another color which can get confusing because the green blood can change the way certain colors look.

Back
Top Bottom