Icelandic cockerel (4 months) - northeast SD

movielady

Chirping
9 Years
May 10, 2013
I have a four month old Icelandic cockerel I would like to find a good home for. He was hatched in July from eggs I bought from David at Whippoorwill Farm. Sadly, I live in town and cannot keep him and since he crows regularly, he's not likely to sneak under the notice of my neighbors for long. :)

He's been raised in a beyond organic manner, as I mix all of the food for my chickens myself (they start on seeds and grains on day one, and these chicks were out of the coop wandering with their co-parenting mama hens on day three), free-range forages in my large fenced (solid, not chain link) backyard just fine, and has never had medications of any sort.

I'll try again today to get a better picture of him (he doesn't stay still long and I'm terrible at taking pictures), but he's absolutely gorgeous: lower body is black; multicolored bronze, tan, and black on top; green-sheened black tail feathers; with a very minimal (rose, I think) comb; bright green ears; and a light tan crest. He's a good forager, a little flighty, and not happy that I've been keeping him in the garage on his own at night to keep his crowing from waking everyone in the neighborhood.

Given his pedigree and excellent physical traits for this far in the cold north, I'd love to get him to someone who will use his genetics to continue breeding Icelandics, but at the very least I'd like to find him a good home so I don't have to figure out a way to process him in my backyard without the right tools. :)

I'm in the northeast corner of South Dakota and he's available for local pickup only. I'll happily meet you partway if I can. Make me an offer. pretty-boy1.jpg pretty-boy2.jpg pretty-boy3.jpg pretty-boy4.jpg pretty-boy5.jpg pretty-boy6.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom