Ideas for covering the chicken run

AlineD

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Wyoming
We are trying to decide what material would be best and least expensive for covering our chicken run. It's large- about 400 sq. feet. Deer fence is a bit pricey- any other ideas for inexpensive fence/netting?

Aline D, this has been on my mind alot lately, since I am going to enlarge my chicken run also this spring. I was planning on using 1"x6" or 1"x8" linear boards stacked on top of each other at the bottom. To form a wind break for the chickens, against, or in between a framework such as 4"x4" x8'or 10' length burried in the ground 2 feet. Then add 2x4 runners between the upright post. One at the top of the post. And one like where the top of the field fence wiring ends Like you where building a fence. Using treated wood. I thought about painting the bottoms with tar slightly above the ground line. And also the top's of the post to protect the end grain. Then painting the framework white. Then screwing the pre painted planks on the bottom next to the ground level, to form the wind break. And then adding 1 3' roll of Chicken wire on top of that, securing that to the top of the planks. and on to the 2x4 runner. Then going over that with some stronger field fencing. until at the top of the framing. And as for the top, I still haven't decided on what to use. Either field fencing , osb with asphalt shingles, or clear poly sheets, or using a metal roof. Just my 2 cents worth. Randy

Last edited:
Depending on what you are trying to keep in or out, you could just get some inexpensive twine and do it yourself. Something nice and visible, so the chickens notice it's there and don't get hurt getting tangled in it.

Back
Top Bottom