Ideas to stop leaks?

Sefirothe

On A Clucking Adventure
Premium Feather Member
Feb 1, 2023
Scranton, PA
I may have mentioned that it often rains sideways where I live. I've noticed that my nest box has had some leaks, but not from where the lid hinges. (I have a strip of plastic to attach over the hinge point of the lid.)

I actually think the water is running down the grooves in the siding. That channel is leaving a small gap between the wall and the nest box trim work. And when it downpours sideways, that's leaking into the nest box.

Caulk? Cork plugs? Something that won't stick out like a sore thumb?

1709412292530.png

Maybe some sort of flashing🤷‍♀️
Flashing would just lay flat against the siding and the channels in the siding would let the water run in same as the trim around the nest box currently.

I need something to fill the channels behind the trim of the nest box.

Flashing would just lay flat against the siding
Right. So does your plastic. You have to flash under the siding and over the top of the box. The box should have the door drop down in the front with a 2" overhang on the pitched roof top. That would keep out the rain but means it needs to be rebuilt correctly.

I actually think the water is running down the grooves in the siding. That channel is leaving a small gap between the wall and the nest box trim work.
Yes, use (outdoor rated) calking.. it's easy and works well.. some folks in some environments with less rain will never notice or experience it.

Rain proofing is serious business when it rains (sideways) as much as it does here also.

I get and agree with post #5 as the ultimate option. But my personal means and reality currently allow well for calk.

Right. So does your plastic. You have to flash under the siding and over the top of the box. The box should have the door drop down in the front with a 2" overhang on the pitched roof top. That would keep out the rain but means it needs to be rebuilt correctly.
The plastic is screwed to the black trim attached to the siding where the hinges attach to. Its to stop leaking from where the lid butts to the wall. But I'm still seeing leaks that are coming from closer to the wall.

Maybe the box will get a revamp in the near future, but its not likely to happen soon. Looking for some way to stop the leaks that are still happening from water running down the channels in the shed wall siding.

Yes, use (outdoor rated) calking.. it's easy and works well.. some folks in some environments with less rain will never notice or experience it.

Rain proofing is serious business when it rains (sideways) as much as it does here also.

I get and agree with post #5 as the ultimate option. But my personal means and reality currently allow well for calk.
I wonder if this stuff would work. I don't want to get a huge tube that needs a caulk gun for something that only needs about a dozen pea sized amounts.

I wonder if this stuff would work. I don't want to get a huge tube that needs a caulk gun for something that only needs about a dozen pea sized amounts.
That might work well. I have no personal experience with it, but the description sounds applicable.

I'd be sure (if it were me) and do the whole seam rather than just the channels.. otherwise you *might* still get some leakage just less (noticeable). Water always takes the path of least resistance.. and If I leave any foreseen possibility not dealt with.. it always comes back to haunt me. Of course, your mileage may vary!

I might also add a rain gutter to carry roof water elsewhere than pouring right onto the lay box. With practically no overhang.. even standard rain will likely be splashing back up onto that wall. Plus it may make a huge difference to personal comfort during collection.

So many details go into getting a coop design right (for the people). It's a huge challenge.

Hopefully you are enjoying the adventure!

Back
Top Bottom