Identify this brown baby Snake?

Aren't snakes and chickens related? Chickens are so reptilian with their ways
ep.gif

The problem of identification is simplified if you consider them all to be the dreaded Copperheaded Water Rattler and run screaming like a little girl the other direction.
hide.gif

I found one a lot like that in color and size once in Tennessee when I was a kid. I was at the back pond fishing and ran out of bait, so I started turning over rocks. I saw this nice "earthworm" so I grabbed it. It just did not feel right. When it stuck its tongue out at me, I dropped it and let it go. It really did not take me long to look at that earthworm.

My bad... it is a dekays snake. I didn't see the penny. I thought that was a water bowl!
lol.png
Yeah, I thought it might be a yellow rat snake only because from the pic. I thought it was like 3 ft! IM SORRY!!! How did you catch something so small. I might have squished it!

Did you let it go yet?

Last edited:
I know this is a old thread, but I also wander if you kept the Northern Brown Snake aka Dekay Snake? I have caught 6 this year. I have kept all 6. My cats got a hold of one and killed it, but 5 are still alive. 2 adults, and 3 juveniles. They are eating small red worms fine, and I feed them about every 2 days. They do well in captivity if given clean quarters, something to hide in, or under and a worm to eat. Get a clay flower pot and they will go into it and hide. I tried to give them natural environment within captivity. Adding fresh stuff daily, removing the old. If they dont eat the first few days, give them time. They never pass up a worm for me. Also they love little slugs. Even though I cant stand touching them. I am working on a page for them here. Youre welcome to submit info to me and ill add it. Im studying these little guys. Going to let people in my area know about them, because they kill them thinking they are baby copperheads.

http://www.dannysgamefowlfarm.com/s...Northern-Brown-Snake-(Storeria-dekayi-dekayi)

Not stepping on toes here either, but at one time chickens were wild and are also great bug eaters. They were kept captive and now we enjoy them today. So whats different about a snake? Millions of dekays exist. They are one of the most common snakes out there. The few that are kept captive, are not decreasing the population that much.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom