If you had to choose just 2-3 hens: help me start!

skatcatla

Songster
12 Years
Jun 26, 2007
I'm just getting started here. I'd like to start with two (MAX 3) hens..can you help me select a breed or two? I live in Los Angeles, so weather is not too much of a consideration. Of course I'd like friendly birds that produce a good amount of eggs and are happy being free-range.

Thanks for your suggestions!

If your just wanting egs for eating Id go with red sexlink
smile.png
that way you KNOW they are hens from the minute they hatch, they lay alot of eggs, and are sweet birds..
You could go with black sexlink too, I just favor the reds LOL..

I totally agree with the red sex links. They are super friendly, calm and lay large brown eggs. I think you could'nt go wrong with them.

Thought I'd add mine also love to free range. I think most breeds enjoy this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all! When you say red/black sexlinks, do you mean the Red Stars and Black Stars? Or are there others?

Sorry for my ignorance, I really am just getting started!

There are several names those are 2 of them. There are golden comets {thats what I have} I believe there are several other names for them. All of the pullets are born 1 color and the cockrells another. This way they can tell them apart when they hatch and don't have to try to sex them which they miss around 10% of the time. They don't usually go broody, are calm, curious, friendly and are bred to be super egg layers. I got my 2 girls at around 1 1/2 years old and they are now 2 and still lay around 5 or 6 eggs each per week. Almost 1 every day. They miss a day now and then. I got them in Oct. and after they settled down{ sometimes a move disrupts laying} they layed all winter long with no additional light. Which some hens will not do. Also they were not tame and now they are the only ones that let me pick them up. I think if you get them as babies they would be lap chickens.
smile.png

If I had to choose again and could only have three, I would have a Buff Orp, a white leghorn (because my Pearl is an absolute sweetheart!) and probably a RIR.
Course, mine aren't laying yet, so I can't speak to the egg part, but personality-wise this is what I would pick.

Back
Top Bottom