Ill gosling care

Ourgosling22

Songster
Mar 20, 2022
Central texas
Hi everyone,
I’m still new to the forum and still trying to work my way around☺️ As I mentioned previously Toby our gosling was not right when we saw him at feed store and alone so we brought him home the next day. It will be a week today and even though he’s eating, drinking, alert, and getting bigger he still can’t get his legs to work. He stiffens them out and he ends up positioned like he wants to do the splits. He’s about 10 days old now. He seemed to be improving for a couple of days and yesterday I was questionable. I’m back to finding him laying on his back. He seems to end up like that after just succumbing to trying to stay upright on feet. I’m still giving him nutritional yeast and I’m heading out today to find liquid vitamin b for him. It could be more than just niacin deficiency. Who knows. I’m worried my daughter and I will walk in and he will be “gone”. Trying hard to prevent that. We even let him out and hold him in a way to keep pressure off legs so he can ‘walk’ around to get space. Been trying to find him a flockmate but everyone out of goslings at the moment. I’m reading and researching articles and others’ posts on here who had similar trouble as Toby’s symptoms. I’m looking into changing his feed to something that might have more nutrients in it. Maybe try grass clippings. Okay, I’ve taken enough of everyone’s time. If anyone has suggestions or tips please holler at me. Thank you. Have a great weekend.

Try gettin a b mix, niacin deficiency is a worry, but a deficiency in the other bs can cause issues. Also maybe get him a multi vitamin supplement with A and E too, something like rooster booster poultrycell and an eye dropper or syringe, because I doubt he’ll like the taste.

Could you post a picture of his legs? Another possibility is that he has slipped tendons.

Try gettin a b mix, niacin deficiency is a worry, but a deficiency in the other bs can cause issues. Also maybe get him a multi vitamin supplement with A and E too, something like rooster booster poultrycell and an eye dropper or syringe, because I doubt he’ll like the taste.

Could you post a picture of his legs? Another possibility is that he has slipped tendons.

Hi thanks for replying. Was really difficult to take a good picture. Hope you can see something. Couldn’t find the liquid b3 vitamin or the complex only in gel paste for the cattle and sheep but supposedly people use for their waterfowl. In one of articles one of the farms suggested getting the niacin capsules so I bought a bottle but haven’t tried it yet.

Attachments

• C3365DF2-BD67-4A60-A7E1-15D395E00970.jpeg
    C3365DF2-BD67-4A60-A7E1-15D395E00970.jpeg
    482.5 KB · Views: 10
  • CA887C8B-F376-42BA-9807-67D91C33AF5E.jpeg
    CA887C8B-F376-42BA-9807-67D91C33AF5E.jpeg
    538 KB · Views: 10
Hi thanks for replying. Was really difficult to take a good picture. Hope you can see something. Couldn’t find the liquid b3 vitamin or the complex only in gel paste for the cattle and sheep but supposedly people use for their waterfowl. In one of articles one of the farms suggested getting the niacin capsules so I bought a bottle but haven’t tried it yet.
This is how he ends up quite a bit. Took a close pic of his legs here. Again, don’t know if can tell anything. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 9D57D766-9AAB-4849-85E1-24CD34F5341A.jpeg
    9D57D766-9AAB-4849-85E1-24CD34F5341A.jpeg
    566.7 KB · Views: 10
Goosebaby-
I also wanted to mention after you said something about his tendons-I took a video and watched closely again as he struggled getting to his food and water and it seems like it’s his right leg he can’t seem to get to work right. I honestly don’t know what that means but an observation. Thanks again for any help!😊

I can’t tell if the gosling has splayed legs but this looks like a nutrient or neurological condition, vitamin e/selenium deficiency can do this, I’ve heard calcium deficiency can do this too.

He does show like he has splayed legs when holding him up to check him.
Yeah you’re right, that can be caused by vitamin e deficiency too, I can’t tell if his tendons are slipped, I’m thinking he has a vitamin deficiency, E being a strong possibility, but if he’s deficient in one thing it’s possible he’s deficient in others so I’d try to get a liquid multivitamin as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom