Illinois...

DW said "don't come home with chicks." I didn't listen... 8 Easter Eggers are in a box right now in the back seat next to DD. :gig
Well now that you have your feet wet..... turkey eggs just went into incubator today. Always willing enable and share!

If you want to add any orps, orp x cinnamon queen, spitzhaubens, or useless seramas let me know. My hen is caring for a good sized brood.

BTW- I think we may have just missed each other. I went to your Farm and Fleet today and saw the bin of Easter Eggers. (Probably around 1pm)

Here's my brooder set up inside the coop.
It's the standard "look but don't peck approach." I have the fence in place to corral the chicks as well as protect. Because there's a broody hen, the division will only be a few days. If I don't have a volunteer mama, I use a similar plan but with a heat plate
a.jpg
c.jpg
b.jpg
g.jpg
h.jpg

Progress... the door is up and wrote is attached to two walls. The 3rd wall needs wire just and the construction of the run is done.
1712778260427.png

Edit to add:
The run is complete for daytime use - still need to hang wire under the rafters to protect from climbing opposums who tend to come out at night.
20240410_180103.jpg

And this roo needs a crow collar. He was supposed to be a she! DW wants to keep him. Neighbors haven't complained yet. There's only one who would really. I agreed to keep him if we collar him to pipe him down a bit.
@Faraday40 I recall you using a collar - any help you can offer here?
20240410_150712.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to share that we got our first egg of the year the other day. It was from our old girl (6 years I think now), A'hole. I didn't get a pic and I had it for breakfast yesterday. She hasn't laid again yet that I know of (haven't checked today). She's a tough old been though and I'm glad she's still laying.

@BReeder!
:lau
So after all this time, A’hole (your least favorite) still remains and even feeds you. Aren’t you glad your wife didn’t let you process her?

So what do your kids call her? I can just imagine the reaction of the preschool teacher when the chicken stories come out.
:eek:

Ours is Tyrion, a fearless EE hen (who we thought was a smaller cockerel until she laid an egg). She’s eleven but laid a few eggs already thi year.

Several of our oldest hens are showing their age. Tyrion has swollen tender feet.m and no longer has the energy to chase squirrels as she used to. Xansie (DDs silkie ) is around 8 and looks like a well worn stuffed animal. (Aka Veveteen rabbit )

Back
Top Bottom